Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Filling but low calorie lunch ideas Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've figured out that I think the key to my dieting being a success is eating a lunch that will fill me up until dinner and reduce my need to snack. However I just can't find anything that will really satisfy me for a low amount of calories.

Today I had soup, then a banana with yogurt. 400 calories in total. One hour later I'm ridiculously hungry which makes me want to snack, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Any ideas please?

ReputationRep:
    http://greatist.com/health/35-quick-...alorie-lunches
    Check this post. I tried out some of their recipes and it's really good! quite filling and low calorie too.
    You were eating liquid food (soup, yogurt) so the digestion in your stomach is faster and makes you feel hungry fast too. You can try adding healthy cereals or nuts to your yogurt it will fill you up more

ReputationRep:
    Make salads with pulses which are filling but healthy.

eg: Mix a tin of haricot beans, a tin of chickpeas and a tin of tuna with whatever other salady stuff you have to hand (peppers, tomatoes, red onion, sweetcorn). Add some olive oil and lemon juice as a dressing.

ReputationRep:
    Filling and low calorie do not belong in the same sentence.
    I would avoid sugary stuff though. I personally find that I'm more likely to want more food if I eat something sweet, even if it's fruit or yogurt.
    Even a plain slice of bread is better in my opinion. You could always buy or make a salad too if you gasp at the idea of 'csrbs'.

ReputationRep:
    Something like a salad with brown rice, chicken breast and lettuce tomatoes other salady bits would be slow release energy and not too high calories. You need a mix of wholegrains and protein to keep you full.

ReputationRep:
    Large Big mac meal with diet coke ofc

ReputationRep:
    Wholemeal sandwiches with some kind of protein and some salad stuffed in.....

Jacket potato with a filling and salad on the side

I don't feel soup and yoghurt are that filling imo....you need carbs and protein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkwarrior23)
    Large Big mac meal with diet coke ofc
    Don't tempt us...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaLong)
    Don't tempt us...
    boiled white potatoes are the most filling food per calorie

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on trying some shirataki noodles when I can find some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nemothefish19)
    Wholemeal sandwiches with some kind of protein and some salad stuffed in.....

Jacket potato with a filling and salad on the side

I don't feel soup and yoghurt are that filling imo....you need carbs and protein
    This is basically what I was going to say. Jacket potatoes are pretty filling and as long as you're careful with toppings (i.e don't have lashings of butter and cheese) it will be low calorie.

You could have a small portion of whole-wheat pasta with a carefully chosen sauce.

Wholemeal sandwiches if again you're careful with fillings. If you accompany it with a salad or a piece of fruit it will feel like more of a substantial lunch.

If you do get hungry in the afternoon maybe you could just have a small snack like a low fat yogurt, a banana, etc. just to get you through to dinner?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You need protein! Soup is generally not high in protein if it comes in a tin, so maybe try meat or bean varieties. Greek yogurt is higher in protein than something like a Mullerlight which has nothing worth eating. If you have a salad, have ham or cottage cheese or boiled egg with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the calories in it, but I usually eat the following for lunch-
    carrot sticks (they take ages to eat and fill you up), cucumber, tomatoes, yoghurt coated strawberry pieces (not the best for calorie counting...) and sometimes a brown bread sandwich.

I've also heard that celery uses more calories to eat than it has in it, so that's excellent for dieting (but tastes horrible...)
    Beetroot is good too as it fills you up- personally I don't like it

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.