Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Skyrim Modding Help Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, could someone more experienced with modifying games please give me an insight into how to change the in-game music?

(I am considering rescoring the game as part of my university major). The triggers could stay the same, but the audio files themselves would need to be replaced with my own.

Cheers

(Posted this here as opposed to the study help section since I think more gamers would read this)

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsRSxUX4Iw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    This might help:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13286/?
    a mod which lets you replace the music

ReputationRep:
    I've read on the EULA that if I "distribute" or "make public" any modifications, all material therein becomes the property of Bethesda. Surely this won't apply to me since it won't be a public project, and will never be distributed on the public domain?

ReputationRep:
    I've read on the EULA that if I "distribute" or "make public" any modifications, all material therein becomes the property of Bethesda. Surely this won't apply to me since it won't be a public project, and will never be distributed on the public domain?
    If that was true Bethesda wouldn't have allowed the Steam Workshop for Skyrim.

Steam Workshop is the easiest way to install mods, you just click on the mod and you have it and next time you play it's there.

Nexus mods are more complicated, but that's where most of the good mods are at as modders get more from their creations being downloaded there. It's harder to install but with Nexus Mod Manger it's still pretty simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC 042)
    If that was true Bethesda wouldn't have allowed the Steam Workshop for Skyrim.

Steam Workshop is the easiest way to install mods, you just click on the mod and you have it and next time you play it's there.

Nexus mods are more complicated, but that's where most of the good mods are at as modders get more from their creations being downloaded there. It's harder to install but with Nexus Mod Manger it's still pretty simple.
    Yes, I have both.

But it does seem that any modifications to the game become the property of (but not responsibility of!) Bethesda Softworks, as soon as they're publicly distributed. This includes intellectual property, in addition to the right to sell under Bethesda's name.

So if I released the new soundtrack with nexus, workshop, or any other means, it would be owned by Bethesda, and they could use whatever they liked from it in future games, and I would have no right to credit or refusal of usage.

Sneaky little *******s!

From the Skyrim Creation Kit EULA:

"If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials [Mods], You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit,"

ReputationRep:
    Sneaky little *******s!
    I see what you're saying, but the difference being I'm seeing Bethesda's name. If this was any other publisher like Ubisoft or EA I would agree with you, but Bethesda's name is one gamers everywhere trust, and 3 years after release and nothing has come of this detail to show that trust has been betrayed

Although with all software, you are not buying the game, you are buying the right to play it. If you brought the game you can edit it and even sell it as much as you want. Although I don't think it's ever happened with games, if you commission them to make you a game then you would have the right. (Although I suppose it's publishers who commission the developers and then they have the rights?)

ReputationRep:
    I see what you're saying, but the difference being I'm seeing Bethesda's name. If this was any other publisher like Ubisoft or EA I would agree with you, but Bethesda's name is one gamers everywhere trust, and 3 years after release and nothing has come of this detail to show that trust has been betrayed

Although with all software, you are not buying the game, you are buying the right to play it. If you brought the game you can edit it and even sell it as much as you want. Although I don't think it's ever happened with games, if you commission them to make you a game then you would have the right. (Although I suppose it's publishers who commission the developers and then they have the rights?)
    I've been burnt by not having things in writing before. I think the best course of action is to ask the university to write to them on my behalf to obtain a written permission that exempts my project from this Agreement, on the basis that the work stays within the university for purely academic purposes.

ReputationRep:
    I've been burnt by not having things in writing before. I think the best course of action is to ask the university to write to them on my behalf to obtain a written permission that exempts my project from this Agreement, on the basis that the work stays within the university for purely academic purposes.
    If you are making mods for academic purposes why would you upload them to Nexus or Steam Workshop?

If you want to upload it to Nexus/Steam and be exempt from the agreement I HIGHLY doubt Bethesda would agree as it wouldn't be worth the risk as I'm certain they have likely been burnt by similar claimed cases. For example they need to block adult mods wherever they can, they can't do this on Nexus or any other site obviously because they have no control on them.

Just don't upload it anywhere and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you are making mods for academic purposes why would you upload them to Nexus or Steam Workshop?

If you want to upload it to Nexus/Steam and be exempt from the agreement I HIGHLY doubt Bethesda would agree as it wouldn't be worth the risk as I'm certain they have likely been burnt by similar claimed cases. For example they need to block adult mods wherever they can, they can't do this on Nexus or any other site obviously because they have no control on them.

Just don't upload it anywhere and you'll be fine.
    Oh I never had any intention of releasing it on Nexus or Steam, but the EULA that comes with skyrim itself would still claim ownership regardless. If Bethesda came and said "give us the original files for us to use in our own project", I would be breaking the law not to oblige.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I never had any intention of releasing it on Nexus or Steam, but the EULA that comes with skyrim itself would still claim ownership regardless. If Bethesda came and said "give us the original files for us to use in our own project", I would be breaking the law not to oblige.
    But if the files don't leave your computer and the computer used to mark the project, how can Bethesda possibly know?

ReputationRep:
    There's an awesome mod on nexus which replaces all the ingame music with a "fantasy" soundtrack which from my playthrough is awesome. It's on the top 100 mods list. I hope that helps, I'm not a mega techie but I darned well love skyrim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    But if the files don't leave your computer and the computer used to mark the project, how can Bethesda possibly know?
    This exactly/ Plus even if they did, they wouldn't go knocking on your door demanding the files. This is Bethesda we're talking about, not EA.

I think you're over thinking this dude.

(Original post by Messalina)
    There's an awesome mod on nexus which replaces all the ingame music with a "fantasy" soundtrack which from my playthrough is awesome. It's on the top 100 mods list. I hope that helps, I'm not a mega techie but I darned well love skyrim
    My favourite was the Black Sacrament mod, it made the Dark Brotherhood armour so badass! And the Dark Tower is also awesome.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.