Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone applied and attending the assessment centres?

ReputationRep:
    No but I know a lot of people who have been through the ICAP shipping interviews and have friends who I've helped secures roles at rival ship brokers and broking firms.

What would you like to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_2006)
    No but I know a lot of people who have been through the ICAP shipping interviews and have friends who I've helped secures roles at rival ship brokers and broking firms.

What would you like to know?
    Erm, would you know the starting salary? Is it unheard of for 1st year brokers to close deals and get a good commission? Also, in the first year, how much client entertainment would I be doing?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shippythebroker)
    Erm, would you know the starting salary?
    I know a few guys who have started out in ship broking. For a graduate, they should pay 25k basic (+/- 5k)

Is it unheard of for 1st year brokers to close deals and get a good commission?
    It depends how well you know the industry, if you have any previous contacts, and how hungry you're are too learn. I know guys at broking firms, on equity derivatives and fixed income derivatives desks who have broked their first deal within 6 months. However I know others who have waited nearly 2 years before actually broking. Being proactive, showing some confidence will usually be rewarded.

It would be difficult to make a bonus in your first year, as you will have to cover your costs first (salary + desk costs + T*E). However, in theory if you establish a great relationship with a client, who gives you business/orders, sky is the limit.

Also, in the first year, how much client entertainment would I be doing?
    Broking is obviously a relationship job. You will have to talk to clients and meet them. Some desks are more sociable than others, as are some markets. Are you adverse to this?

Feel free to PM if you need anymore advice, always happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help.

Has anyone heard back from the assessment centres?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone through to next round?

ReputationRep:
    no one has applied?

ReputationRep:
    Got the offer. If anyone is still going through stages i can help

ReputationRep:
    Hi Shippythebroker

i have a last round interview coming up for the Clarksons Shipbroking trainee position.

is it possible to let me know what sorts of questions was asked in the last round?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA123)
    Hi Shippythebroker

i have a last round interview coming up for the Clarksons Shipbroking trainee position.

is it possible to let me know what sorts of questions was asked in the last round?

thanks

Hey, whats your background? Have you got experience in the industry?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, whats your background? Have you got experience in the industry?
    Hi, ive been to uni and studied Economics, had an intern at a financial brokerage and currently work within financial markets (FX and Commodities) as a market analyst. I do not have experience directly in shipbroking no.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA123)
    Hi, ive been to uni and studied Economics, had an intern at a financial brokerage and currently work within financial markets (FX and Commodities) as a market analyst. I do not have experience directly in shipbroking no.

Thanks
    Just know your cv inside out and be prepared to talk about your previous and current role.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just know your cv inside out and be prepared to talk about your previous and current role.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice...

Were you asked the typical competency based questions too?
    name a time when you did this? did that? for example?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA123)
    Thanks for the advice...

Were you asked the typical competency based questions too?
    name a time when you did this? did that? for example?

Cheers
    Yes, time you showed leadership skills, time there was a problem in the team and I had to resolve the matter, am I a team player, time management and dealing with a difficult client/team mate

ReputationRep:
    Yes, time you showed leadership skills, time there was a problem in the team and I had to resolve the matter, am I a team player, time management and dealing with a difficult client/team mate
    thanks for the quick responses. the details and advice given will help me.

thanks a lot Shippythebroker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA123)
    thanks for the quick responses. the details and advice given will help me.

thanks a lot Shippythebroker
    Welcome, good luck for tomorrow or friday

ReputationRep:
    Welcome, good luck for tomorrow or friday
    Yes tomorrow, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GA123)
    Yes tomorrow, thanks
    hey, how did it go?

ReputationRep:
    Im liking the look of the scheme, anyone know when the 2015 applications open?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the 2015 applications open? I have a degree in International Relations and a postgrad diploma in Shipping Management . Couldn't get into Shipping . It really frustrates me. Been working in Insurance ( Healthcare ) for nearly 3 years and no idea how to start my career in Shipping. Please advise .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2015
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.