Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm Bipolar - can i study medicine?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, basically i have an offer for medicine - however the uni has sent an occupational health form for me to fill out (fitness to practice).
    I have Bipolar - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after having a 'manic' episode and suffering from depression afterwards. on the form is asks if you have a mental disorder such as Bipolar which i will have to tick as 'yes' and also if I have been under the care of a pychiatrist which i will have to tick 'yes' to also.

following my episodes i have been stable (on medication) and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

Will this mean my offer will now be withdrawn? im so scared and worried im going to lose my place and cannot study medicine anymore

ReputationRep:
    No You Can't. I'm sorry you're going to have to be a toilet attendant in Lidl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xscape)
    No You Can't.
    really!! are you saying that from knowing other people trying to apply or...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous2202)
    really!! are you saying that from knowing other people trying to apply or...
    I'm joking. I'm sure others will have the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xscape)
    I'm joking. I'm sure others will have the answer.
    okay well phewwww, that just freaked the hell out of me!!! haha
    Yes, hopefully other people with have the answer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi, basically i have an offer for medicine - however the uni has sent an occupational health form for me to fill out (fitness to practice).
    I have Bipolar - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after having a 'manic' episode and suffering from depression afterwards. on the form is asks if you have a mental disorder such as Bipolar which i will have to tick as 'yes' and also if I have been under the care of a pychiatrist which i will have to tick 'yes' to also.

following my episodes i have been stable and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

Will this mean my offer will now be withdrawn? im so scared and worried im going to lose my place and cannot study medicine anymore
    It should be fine. They want to know about these things so they can help you through your career

ReputationRep:
    I see no reason why you cannot study seeing as I know of people in med school who have experienced similar issues, if you are stable I cannot see why it would cause a problem to you yourself in your studies and wont influence your fitness to practice in the future therefore I seriously doubt there are any grounds for denying you the right to take up a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know of someone with bipolar who is reading for a doctorate in medicine. Of course you can! Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! They just need a bit of context, so in the future they could help you with anything related to it. They're not just going to reject you because you have bi-polar disorder

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They're only asking so you can get the support you need while you're at uni.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why are you bumping this thread? You've had quite a few responses all answering your question.
    Plus you only posted it two hours ago!

ReputationRep:

following my episodes i have been stable (on medication) and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

I don't think they would withdraw your offer for that... As others have said, I think it's more about ensuring you have support you need etc.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldeegee)
    Why are you bumping this thread? You've had quite a few responses all answering your question.
    Plus you only posted it two hours ago!
    manic depressive bipolar episode no doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin jol)
    manic depressive bipolar episode no doubt
    What's that supposed to mean? I'm not having an episode this is a genuine question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What's that supposed to mean? I'm not having an episode this is a genuine question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've got the answer. If you don't trust it, then by all means email the universities concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

my friend has bipolar and shes studying medicine all it means is that u need to attend some counselling sessions or something so that they can monitor that you are ok

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.