Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    At my school we do highers twice (I know some schools only do them once) and I am doing my final exams in a couple of weeks so have already chosen the subjects I want to do next year. I want to do something science related at uni (I think) and am already doing biology this year so to keep my options open I want to do chemistry next year. The last time I did chemistry was two years ago for standard grade in which I miraculously got a 2 but i remember finding chemistry so difficult, i genuinely think it was just lucky that i passed it. My friend who did higher chemistry this year says its really difficult and she didn't find standard grade as hard as me which makes me think that I will find it impossible. I really do hate chemistry and like I said I would only do it to keep options open. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it or any advice as to what I should do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Its a tough Higher, definitely harder than Biology and a huge step up from SG. If you work at it and have a positive attitude you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCRMG)
    At my school we do highers twice (I know some schools only do them once) and I am doing my final exams in a couple of weeks so have already chosen the subjects I want to do next year. I want to do something science related at uni (I think) and am already doing biology this year so to keep my options open I want to do chemistry next year. The last time I did chemistry was two years ago for standard grade in which I miraculously got a 2 but i remember finding chemistry so difficult, i genuinely think it was just lucky that i passed it. My friend who did higher chemistry this year says its really difficult and she didn't find standard grade as hard as me which makes me think that I will find it impossible. I really do hate chemistry and like I said I would only do it to keep options open. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it or any advice as to what I should do? Thanks
    Taking a Higher just to keep your options open would be foolish, especially since you said you hate chemistry. I, personally, found it to be the most difficult of the sciences (took all three to Higher). There is not a lot of material but the step up in difficulty is extremely hard to cope with if you don't know what you're doing. If I was you I'd stick with the biology that you already have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCRMG)
    I'm doing higher chemistry and I have to say that I've really, really struggled with it. It was my second worst prelim mark (59%). I got a 1 at standard grade, but it was a shaky 1 as I didn't really grasp some aspects of electricity, electrolysis, acids and alkalis etc. and most of these are covered at higher. I obviously can't speak for the new higher but I've heard that they're bringing some of the advanced higher course into the new higher :eek::eek: I shudder to think of what that would involve, but I've found this year really tough in chemistry.

If you're honestly willing to work hard ie. keep up with all the notes, study most nights etc. then give it a bash. If not, maybe do something else.

Where were you planning on applying to? Are you doing higher maths? I know quite a few universities ask for two science subjects at higher, but maths sometimes counts as one.

ReputationRep:
    So glad I did Int2, half the course is the same, so wasn't quite as big a jump.

ReputationRep:
    I've got to say it's a very challenging course. My teacher has been amazing and I've managed to scrape an A so far but it's a shaky one. It's rewarding to do well as you feel like you've accomplished a great deal but I feel it would be near impossible to crash it as it relies on so much prior knowledge, and from what I've heard the new Higher is the same. Approach with caution imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shxwzy)
    Taking a Higher just to keep your options open would be foolish, especially since you said you hate chemistry. I, personally, found it to be the most difficult of the sciences (took all three to Higher). There is not a lot of material but the step up in difficulty is extremely hard to cope with if you don't know what you're doing. If I was you I'd stick with the biology that you already have.
    Yeah but I was thinking that I should maybe just take it to have more of a chance of getting into my chosen uni even if i won't necessarily be using it (I wouldn't want to do anything with chemistry at uni! haha). I'm still very much undecided though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenOne)
    I'm doing higher chemistry and I have to say that I've really, really struggled with it. It was my second worst prelim mark (59%). I got a 1 at standard grade, but it was a shaky 1 as I didn't really grasp some aspects of electricity, electrolysis, acids and alkalis etc. and most of these are covered at higher. I obviously can't speak for the new higher but I've heard that they're bringing some of the advanced higher course into the new higher :eek::eek: I shudder to think of what that would involve, but I've found this year really tough in chemistry.

If you're honestly willing to work hard ie. keep up with all the notes, study most nights etc. then give it a bash. If not, maybe do something else.

Where were you planning on applying to? Are you doing higher maths? I know quite a few universities ask for two science subjects at higher, but maths sometimes counts as one.
    Yeah I think i will find it really difficult tbh and I'm not very good at the whole 'revise regularly' thing as i am only able to work under pressure. I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow but i'm not really sure what exactly I'd want to do :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackamakka)
    I've got to say it's a very challenging course. My teacher has been amazing and I've managed to scrape an A so far but it's a shaky one. It's rewarding to do well as you feel like you've accomplished a great deal but I feel it would be near impossible to crash it as it relies on so much prior knowledge, and from what I've heard the new Higher is the same. Approach with caution imo
    Yeah like I said I wouldn't be crashing it since i passed it at standard grade but i don't really think it counts tbh since i've forgotten most of the stuff i learned haha! Thanks, i think i might reconsider taking it.

ReputationRep:
    I took it for the first month and decided to drop it and pick up modern studies last year, I would say take it for the first month and if you don't pick it up well change. I'm so glad I changed but I'm also glad I started with it so I wouldn't regret or doubt taking modern studies instead.

Dont get me wrong, Chemistry was in no way my strong point so I had no chance lol

ReputationRep:
    As someone who studies chemistry at uni.. I'd just like to say that to succeed in chemistry you need to understand, not just learn by heart (like biology). For example just remembering that atomic radius decreases across a period is useless, you need to know why this is the case and be able to explain it clearly.

ReputationRep:
    are you mad its the worse subject in the world

ReputationRep:
    It's challenging however I am finding it easier than SG. Also, I fail everything in SG until the final exam in which I got straight 1's, this year I'm managing to get B's without trying too hard. With effort I will get an A in the exam. It's literally mainly memorising and understanding the mechanisms behind it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    As someone who studies chemistry at uni.. I'd just like to say that to succeed in chemistry you need to understand, not just learn by heart (like biology). For example just remembering that atomic radius decreases across a period is useless, you need to know why this is the case and be able to explain it clearly.
    (Original post by Abbie :))
    I took it for the first month and decided to drop it and pick up modern studies last year, I would say take it for the first month and if you don't pick it up well change. I'm so glad I changed but I'm also glad I started with it so I wouldn't regret or doubt taking modern studies instead.

Dont get me wrong, Chemistry was in no way my strong point so I had no chance lol
    (Original post by langlitz)
    (Original post by nicmcn)
    are you mad its the worse subject in the world
    (Original post by clannem)
    It's challenging however I am finding it easier than SG. Also, I fail everything in SG until the final exam in which I got straight 1's, this year I'm managing to get B's without trying too hard. With effort I will get an A in the exam. It's literally mainly memorising and understanding the mechanisms behind it
    Thanks for everyones advice. I never really understood it at standard grade which makes me think that there's not much point even trying it next year.. plus, since my first exam (english) went terribly today, I think i'll be doing resits instead of taking different subjects like chemistry :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCRMG)
    Thanks for everyones advice. I never really understood it at standard grade which makes me think that there's not much point even trying it next year.. plus, since my first exam (english) went terribly today, I think i'll be doing resits instead of taking different subjects like chemistry :sigh:
    Chemistry would be more beneficial than English. Uni's don't care about english because it's a pile of **** and a joke of a subject

ReputationRep:
    I studied for weeks and weeks before the exam and i enjoy chemistry and only got scraped B. I wouldn't pick it if you hated it for standard grade cause it is hard and if your don't enjoy it you wont bother studying. Either pick int 2 chemistry or if you are good at maths pick physics, its hard but more doable than chemistry if you're good at maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LCRMG)

Honestly, I would say it isn't worth it. Unless you've already done it at Int 2 and you were really good at it, like A good, then you'll find it hard. I'm doing it at the moment (I have the exam on Monday) and I'm finding it really hard. Well, not as hard as I found it at the start of the year, to be fair, but it takes a lot of work just to gain some understanding of what's going on. Also, the bonding section is really hard. It's almost impossible to remember the properties of every single bond that you're meant to learn (except the obvious ones, like covalent, metallic, ionic, covalent network, etc.). But if you've done Int 2 before, then unit two (carbon compounds) is going to be really easy, because it's basically revision of everything that you did in that unit at Int 2. But units 1 and 3 are quite hard to grasp. Also, it's one of the hardest highers. Something I wish I knew before agreeing to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse&Roses)
    Honestly, I would say it isn't worth it. Unless you've already done it at Int 2 and you were really good at it, like A good, then you'll find it hard. I'm doing it at the moment (I have the exam on Monday) and I'm finding it really hard. Well, not as hard as I found it at the start of the year, to be fair, but it takes a lot of work just to gain some understanding of what's going on. Also, the bonding section is really hard. It's almost impossible to remember the properties of every single bond that you're meant to learn (except the obvious ones, like covalent, metallic, ionic, covalent network, etc.). But if you've done Int 2 before, then unit two (carbon compounds) is going to be really easy, because it's basically revision of everything that you did in that unit at Int 2. But units 1 and 3 are quite hard to grasp. Also, it's one of the hardest highers. Something I wish I knew before agreeing to take it.
    Thanks for your advice It's still all up in the air with some people telling me they like it and others saying they didn't.. I'll give it some more thought.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.