Can you imagine a life off medication?

Watch
headunderwater
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've always hated having to take medication and when I was much younger I straight out refused to take them (anti-depressants initially).I even used to be against taking aspirin/paracetemol. But as years have past I suffer from schizo-affective disorder and have to take anti-psychotic medication (clozapine). It has helped with the auditory hallucinations dramatically. A few weeks ago I decided to be self destructive and see if I could cope with not taking the clozapine and I majorly crashed.

I think I'm going to have to accept that I'm dependent upon medication, for now anyway, regardless of whether I like it or not.

Would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.
txo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not "dependent" on medication.
You need it.
You wouldn't say a diabetic is "dependent" on insulin.

You have to do what's best for your health. No one likes taking medication. I hate it and stopped taking it. It worked for me but everyone's brain is different so different things work for some and not for others.

I am sorry to see you upset about it. I hope everything works out for you.
laylarose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't been on medication for very long (began in November of last year - 10mg of escitalopram for depression and anxiety) but I missed nearly a week and a half of tablets (was playing stupid games with myself) and my mood plummeted, suicidal thoughts started to return and wanted to self-harm.

Safe to say I refused my psychiatrist's suggestion of weaning down yesterday :lol:
username861942
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by headunderwater)
I've always hated having to take medication and when I was much younger I straight out refused to take them (anti-depressants initially).I even used to be against taking aspirin/paracetemol. But as years have past I suffer from schizo-affective disorder and have to take anti-psychotic medication (clozapine). It has helped with the auditory hallucinations dramatically. A few weeks ago I decided to be self destructive and see if I could cope with not taking the clozapine and I majorly crashed.

I think I'm going to have to accept that I'm dependent upon medication, for now anyway, regardless of whether I like it or not.

Would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.
I have schizoaffective disorder and I struggle with the idea of having to take medication everyday. I've talked to my psychiatrist and he says that if I can go a few years without an episode then we can look at reducing it, but even that seems way too long. Recently I stopped taking one of my medication, and I had a **** few weeks because of it. It still doesn't make taking medication any easier, as I feel weak for having to rely on them. But it is what it is I guess. I've always had aspirations of being a police officer, and I know it is so unlikely that they will take someone who is on anti psychotics, but I guess at the same time, they won't take someone on who is delusional.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (0)
0%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (0)
0%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads