Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can you imagine a life off medication? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always hated having to take medication and when I was much younger I straight out refused to take them (anti-depressants initially).I even used to be against taking aspirin/paracetemol. But as years have past I suffer from schizo-affective disorder and have to take anti-psychotic medication (clozapine). It has helped with the auditory hallucinations dramatically. A few weeks ago I decided to be self destructive and see if I could cope with not taking the clozapine and I majorly crashed.

I think I'm going to have to accept that I'm dependent upon medication, for now anyway, regardless of whether I like it or not.

Would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.

ReputationRep:
    You're not "dependent" on medication.
    You need it.
    You wouldn't say a diabetic is "dependent" on insulin.

You have to do what's best for your health. No one likes taking medication. I hate it and stopped taking it. It worked for me but everyone's brain is different so different things work for some and not for others.

I am sorry to see you upset about it. I hope everything works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been on medication for very long (began in November of last year - 10mg of escitalopram for depression and anxiety) but I missed nearly a week and a half of tablets (was playing stupid games with myself) and my mood plummeted, suicidal thoughts started to return and wanted to self-harm.

Safe to say I refused my psychiatrist's suggestion of weaning down yesterday :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by headunderwater)
    I've always hated having to take medication and when I was much younger I straight out refused to take them (anti-depressants initially).I even used to be against taking aspirin/paracetemol. But as years have past I suffer from schizo-affective disorder and have to take anti-psychotic medication (clozapine). It has helped with the auditory hallucinations dramatically. A few weeks ago I decided to be self destructive and see if I could cope with not taking the clozapine and I majorly crashed.

I think I'm going to have to accept that I'm dependent upon medication, for now anyway, regardless of whether I like it or not.

Would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.
    I have schizoaffective disorder and I struggle with the idea of having to take medication everyday. I've talked to my psychiatrist and he says that if I can go a few years without an episode then we can look at reducing it, but even that seems way too long. Recently I stopped taking one of my medication, and I had a **** few weeks because of it. It still doesn't make taking medication any easier, as I feel weak for having to rely on them. But it is what it is I guess. I've always had aspirations of being a police officer, and I know it is so unlikely that they will take someone who is on anti psychotics, but I guess at the same time, they won't take someone on who is delusional.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.