Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm not sure I'm suited to relationships? Watch

I'm a 16 year old girl, I like alone time and being around people tends to drain me. I am currently in a relationship with someone I really care about, but the problem is that I don't want to spend a lot of time with her. Don't get me wrong, I do love spending time with her, but I need a lot of time on my own without any kind of interaction (even texting is a chore to me). She struggles with depression and anxiety and more so she needs to know that I'm always there for her, and I want to be but I find that it's exhausting for me to even respond to texts on a daily basis as I need a lot of time away from it all, but she needs me so I'm there for her obviously when she is upset. Am I a bad girlfriend? Am I not suited to romantic relationships as I can't seem to commit my time to them?

You're fine for romantic relationships, just not with someone who needs people around all the time. You need someone who can act independently and prefers to have lots of time alone as well.

ReputationRep:
    You're too young to know, give it time I'm sure it's not the case

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Humans are sociable creatures, some are more sociable than others. Everyone benefits from some degree of interaction with others. We like to care for others and be cared for. Other than that, a romantic relationship is whatever you and your partner make it. Don't feel you must have a very similar romantic relationship to everyone else's. It's just what works for you and everyone has to find the kind of people who they are compatible with.

Maybe you are unsuited to some kinds of romantic relationships, but I think everyone is unsuited to some kinds.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.