Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, basically i have an offer for medicine - however the uni has sent an occupational health form for me to fill out (fitness to practice).
    I have Bipolar - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after having a 'manic' episode and suffering from depression afterwards. on the form is asks if you have a mental disorder such as Bipolar which i will have to tick as 'yes' and also if I have been under the care of a pychiatrist which i will have to tick 'yes' to also.

following my episodes i have been stable (on medication) and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

Will this mean my offer will now be withdrawn? im so scared and worried im going to lose my place and cannot study medicine anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous2202)
    Hi, basically i have an offer for medicine - however the uni has sent an occupational health form for me to fill out (fitness to practice).
    I have Bipolar - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after having a 'manic' episode and suffering from depression afterwards. on the form is asks if you have a mental disorder such as Bipolar which i will have to tick as 'yes' and also if I have been under the care of a pychiatrist which i will have to tick 'yes' to also.

following my episodes i have been stable (on medication) and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

Will this mean my offer will now be withdrawn? im so scared and worried im going to lose my place and cannot study medicine anymore
    They should be fine with it as long as it is being managed (which it is), and as long as you know to seek help as soon as you start having any problems during the course.

ReputationRep:

I'm my opinion its should be fine because as the person above said, its under control. Also it was some time ago and you managed with your studies thus far. So I don't see why they could take your place away.

Congrats on the offer by the way Could I ask where ??

ReputationRep:

They're not going to take your place away. The occupational health form doesn't even go to the admissions team, it's just to assess whether you may need additional support to get through the course. In this case, they might request a report from your GP about the details of your illness and its treatment, so they'll be able to see that you're stable and doing ok. They may ask you to go in for an assessment when you arrive at medical school, or they may just phone you to see if what you say matches what the GP has told them.

The important thing is that you need to be honest with OH, so that they can help you. Plenty of medical students and doctors have mental illnesses, you just need to be able to recognise your own limitations and seek medical help as soon as needed.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure it won't effect your place! Though a friend of mine with bouts of severe anorexia is hoping to study medicine and various people have suggested her problem may come after medical school when it comes to getting jobs. I don't know the ins and outs specifically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Loads of students and doctors have mental illness, including bipolar.

Just don't lie whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    No lol.

Most doctors understand that people with a diagnosed mental illness can lead completely normal lives.

Unfortuantely, we live in a society which stigmatises those that say they have a mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. To be honest, if you manage to make it though medical school and you've not acquired some form of mental neurosis or psychosis, then you've probably not done it right,

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't take your place away and even if it wasn't under control they'd most likely just suggest deferring your offer.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.