Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've decided I'm going to study with the open university this year on the Open Plus course but before I register I must choose a University to go to after my time with the OU is over.

I'm finding it hard to select a Uni from the ones available.

I'm looking for one that has the most modern facilities, best teaching reputation and is in a lively area.

I have sort of narrowed it down.

At the moment I'm considering Lancaster, Loughborough, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield.

If anyone is willing to, please give some input on the pros and cons of why you would study there.

If you are a past student of one of these universities, please tell me what you thought of it.

Thank you.

p.s. I'll be studying physics so please comment on the physics and computing facilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SR71BB)
    Hello, I've decided I'm going to study with the open university this year on the Open Plus course but before I register I must choose a University to go to after my time with the OU is over.

I'm looking for one that has the most modern facilities, best teaching reputation and is in a lively area.

At the moment I'm considering Lancaster, Loughborough, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield.

If anyone is willing to, please give some input on the pros and cons of why you would study there.

If you are a past student of one of these universities, please tell me what you thought of it.

Thank you.

p.s. I'll be studying physics so please comment on the physics and computing facilities.
    Although I've never looked around it etc (because I didn't want to go North), Lancaster is supposed to be really good for physics and the students always seem happy.

ReputationRep:
    choose nottingham trent university and the sandwich program. ntu has excellent connections with more than 70 companies.

ReputationRep:

Thank you.

I went through Lancaster.

The city is about 10minutes away by bus (which is about every 2 minutes during peak times!). It`s not as busy as somewhere like Manchester, but the 2 unis in the city mean there`s a large nightlife for the size of place. Manchester is about an hour away on the train if you want a big night out.

The campus itself has had a huge investment over the last 10 years, and although the physics dept is in the older part you will spend very little time in there anyway. There`s a large library and also an informal study area across the main square which is ideal for groupwork etc. Theres also 8(?) bars, a cinema, a spar, a coop, post office, about 6(?) food places, hairdresser and a few other things on campus so you don`t need to go into town if you don`t want to.

The department has a pretty good reputation. I had no problems with the lecturers and never got the impression that students were a pest to them. You get a director of studies who is your first point of contact in the event of any problems. There is also an active physics society which has regular socials, and the IOP holds regular meetings there. If you are good enough then you can join the north America scheme and spend 3rd year in the US/Canada.

There is quite a jump between what`s expected of you at the OU and what`s expected at a brick uni. Certainly the first year syllabus at Lancaster covers more material, and in more detail (certainly more mathematically rigorous) than the OU does, so you might want to look at making sure you`re up to speed with what everyone else has done.

HTH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumberjack 101)
    I went through Lancaster.

The city is about 10minutes away by bus (which is about every 2 minutes during peak times!). It`s not as busy as somewhere like Manchester, but the 2 unis in the city mean there`s a large nightlife for the size of place. Manchester is about an hour away on the train if you want a big night out.

The campus itself has had a huge investment over the last 10 years, and although the physics dept is in the older part you will spend very little time in there anyway. There`s a large library and also an informal study area across the main square which is ideal for groupwork etc. Theres also 8(?) bars, a cinema, a spar, a coop, post office, about 6(?) food places, hairdresser and a few other things on campus so you don`t need to go into town if you don`t want to.

The department has a pretty good reputation. I had no problems with the lecturers and never got the impression that students were a pest to them. You get a director of studies who is your first point of contact in the event of any problems. There is also an active physics society which has regular socials, and the IOP holds regular meetings there. If you are good enough then you can join the north America scheme and spend 3rd year in the US/Canada.

There is quite a jump between what`s expected of you at the OU and what`s expected at a brick uni. Certainly the first year syllabus at Lancaster covers more material, and in more detail (certainly more mathematically rigorous) than the OU does, so you might want to look at making sure you`re up to speed with what everyone else has done.

HTH.
    Im heading to lancaster with open plus. Was there many mature students on your course? Im going to be 28 when I start there, So i dont think I will stay on campus.
    Did you go to a usa/canada uni and what opportunities have you gained through a degree at Lancaster? Would you choose Lancaster again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidswift9)
    Im heading to lancaster with open plus. Was there many mature students on your course? Im going to be 28 when I start there, So i dont think I will stay on campus.
    Did you go to a usa/canada uni and what opportunities have you gained through a degree at Lancaster? Would you choose Lancaster again?
    Apart from one woman in her 50`s I was probably the oldest at 32. There were plenty of folk in their mid 20`s as well as the 20 year olds straight from school. I stayed on campus and it was convenient, but I got put in small flat with 2 other mature students, one of whom chucked it after freshers so it wasn`t much fun. Originally put in for one of the 12-room flats in County college but all the open-plus lot got put in one building in the quieter part of campus.

I wasn`t on the year abroad scheme. I would liked to have done it but I had other commitments that wouldn`t have allowed it.

Not finished yet. Left at the end of second year as I got offered a job that I just couldn`t turn down so i`ll need to go back and do 3rd year at some point. It might not have the same reputation as oxbridge but its still a good uni and ultimately, a physics degree from a good uni is going to open doors.

If I had to do it again I would definitely go back to Lancaster - although i`d have made sure i`d covered all the first year material before I got there to lighten the load a bit. It`s not fun trying to learn vector calculus alongside a class that uses it every lecture! The lecturers were excellent and very willing to help when I was stuck.

HTH

ReputationRep:
    Apart from one woman in her 50`s I was probably the oldest at 32. There were plenty of folk in their mid 20`s as well as the 20 year olds straight from school. I stayed on campus and it was convenient, but I got put in small flat with 2 other mature students, one of whom chucked it after freshers so it wasn`t much fun. Originally put in for one of the 12-room flats in County college but all the open-plus lot got put in one building in the quieter part of campus.

I wasn`t on the year abroad scheme. I would liked to have done it but I had other commitments that wouldn`t have allowed it.

Not finished yet. Left at the end of second year as I got offered a job that I just couldn`t turn down so i`ll need to go back and do 3rd year at some point. It might not have the same reputation as oxbridge but its still a good uni and ultimately, a physics degree from a good uni is going to open doors.

If I had to do it again I would definitely go back to Lancaster - although i`d have made sure i`d covered all the first year material before I got there to lighten the load a bit. It`s not fun trying to learn vector calculus alongside a class that uses it every lecture! The lecturers were excellent and very willing to help when I was stuck.

HTH
    Thanks for the info everyone. I has been researching each university over the last few days and Lancaster has been coming out on top of the available uni's. (Number 2 in the UK behind Oxford for Physics).

I can't seem to find any reference to the required OU modules on Lancasters website. Those that are currently studying OU+ at Lancaster, can you tell me please what modules they ask for?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info everyone. I has been researching each university over the last few days and Lancaster has been coming out on top of the available uni's. (Number 2 in the UK behind Oxford for Physics).

I can't seem to find any reference to the required OU modules on Lancasters website. Those that are currently studying OU+ at Lancaster, can you tell me please what modules they ask for?
    I can`t help much as the OU were changing loads of modules while I was studying, so of the 5 modules I did 3 are discontinued and 1 is about to finish. At a guess MST124, MST224, S207 and SXP288, but you might need to email them to check - best person to contact would be Dr Ian Bailey. My offer was based on passes in all modules except S207 where it was G3 for the B.Sc, and G2 for M.Phys.

ReputationRep:

HTH
    Good info. Can you remember how many contact hours roughly per week? Including labs, tutorial and lectures.

Its on the open plus website. Im on open plus lancaster and they asked for MST124, MST224, S207 and SXP288 which can be done in a minimum of 18months... 2 academic years as its 150 credits and OU allow 120 per year at max. Lancaster is the only university that asks for MST224 with the other modules (I was told this last year, so it may have changed).

Also I have read a lot about Lancaster and the rankings are skewy. Its not number 2 and not better than the regular top uni's , oxbridge, durham, imperial etc. also take into consideration its not a russell group uni. Apparently theres more accurate rankings being published in December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidswift9)
    Good info. Can you remember how many contact hours roughly per week? Including labs, tutorial and lectures.
    Roughly 12-15hrs IIRC (I think 20 in the third term as you did 5 weeks work in 4 to get an extra week of study before exams). There were 4 classes at any one time and each had generally 3 lectures per week (4 in the first couple of weeks) and an hour that alternated between a seminar or workshop. 10 week courses had 4 worksheets due every 2nd week so you could go to the workshop to get help the week before it was due, and collect it and go through the answers the next week. The only labs I did were the Java classes in the first term and I think they were 2x2hr labs but the lectures were online videos.

There`s also a dedicated office hour for each subject that nobody seemed to make much use of.

I did the last presentation of MS221, and having looked at the syllabus for its replacement MST224 it covers a lot more calculus than MS221 did, including all the stuff the 1st years do so ignore my comments about the maths!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.