Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying Exploration and Resource Geology at Cardiff University and will be graduating in July (expected 2:1). I've recently received a conditional offer to study the aforementioned course at Manchester. Sadly I couldn't make any of the open days for various reasons, so have had to make the usual inquiries through phone calls and emails but missed out on the interaction with current students.

Before I accept, I was wondering if anyone who is currently studying/ has studied this course could give an honest opinion on it? On paper it appears to be everything I'm looking for, however I thought this when selecting my current BSc and it turns out I was fairly mislead at the open day! A more impartial review would be brilliant.

I'm expecting an intensive, 9am-5pm (5 days a week) course with multiple assignments and exams each semester, but could anyone comment on the workload? is it manageable to combine this with part-time work, sports activities etc. or is it better to just write all that off for a year? I'm not too bothered about the social lobotomy i'll inevitably have to undergo to keep up with the workload, but is there much chance for the odd night out here and there (an actual night out, not just beers in the pub till 10pm on a friday)? I could really do with picking up a few quid from part time work to help with living costs, but not at the expense of increasing the pressure of the course.

Also, would anyone have any advice on accommodation choice (as in halls vs. shared house etc.)? Will I need to consider travel between uni and accommodation when making my decision? its always been walking distance between accommodation and uni for me as an undergrad so never needed to worry about that.

If anyone could just give a rough run-down of any personal experience, that would be brilliant.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.