Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

The beauty of the Football cliche Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what everyone's favourite/most annoying cliche is? I think squeaky bum time and the mathematically impossible 110% are the worst.

Here are a couple of other suggestions.

http://www.thegliff.com/7-football-c...9s-translated/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    ''It's a game of two halves''
    ''This game needs a goal''
    ''<insert random 17 year old player here>, the new Messi''

Edit: few more.

''Could he do it on a cold Tuesday in Stoke?''
    ''concentrate on the league''
    ''put a shift in''
    ''too good to go down''
    ''the hairdryer''

ReputationRep:
    "You can't score unless you shoot"

..... Not true

ReputationRep:
    "Anything could happen?" - Annoying!

ReputationRep:
    'He is literally on fire'

ReputationRep:
    'New Vieira'

ReputationRep:
    When 1-0 down with 10 mins to go

"They could really do with a goal here"

ReputationRep:
    It was always going wide/over

ReputationRep:
    "His weaker left foot." Does he have two left feet?

"He just about cleared it." Well, did he or didn't he?

I could go on forever, but those are two which have irritated me recently. Liverpool, or "Liverpool Football Club" could have an entire thread dedicated to cliches.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    ''It's a game of two halves''
    ''This game needs a goal''
    ''<insert random 17 year old player here>, the new Messi''
    Was so much better when everyone with a hint of talent was "the maradona of..."

Not sure if you'd consider it a cliche but calling Redknapp a wheeler-dealer certainly annoys me - gives him a smoother ride than someone who spends money like it's going out of fashion should get.

ReputationRep:
    Describing someone as a character - usually a **** like Joey Barton

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=MrKappa;47203028]When 1-0 down with 10 mins to go

This lol.

ReputationRep:
    "He almost struck it too well!" about a shot that's missed the target. Well no, if he struck it too well it would've ****ing gone in wouldn't it? A good shot has power and the accuracy to go with it, if you just kick a ball really hard and it doesn't go where you wanted to put it it's a **** shot.

Also, the term near miss, not just in football but in the English language generally. A miss is a near hit, if you nearly miss something you've actually hit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    "

Also, the term near miss, not just in football but in the English language generally. A miss is a near hit, if you nearly miss something you've actually hit it.
    Oh ****. That blew my mind, have never thought about that before. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    "He almost struck it too well!" about a shot that's missed the target. Well no, if he struck it too well it would've ****ing gone in wouldn't it? A good shot has power and the accuracy to go with it, if you just kick a ball really hard and it doesn't go where you wanted to put it it's a **** shot.

It's not a "nearly miss" though, it's a "near miss". As in a miss that is near to the target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    "His weaker left foot." Does he have two left feet?

"He just about cleared it." Well, did he or didn't he?

I could go on forever, but those are two which have irritated me recently. Liverpool, or "Liverpool Football Club" could have an entire thread dedicated to cliches.
    If it were written, it would be 'weaker, (left) foot' but pundits and commentators don't have the time to make pauses.

'just about cleared it' ie, had some difficulty clearing it.

Oh, as opposed to years of 'Manchester United' etc.

tbh don't mean to pick on you specificaly m8, just i dislike when people complain about stuff like this. last time this thred was around somebody entered 'the first goal is crucial' - which is a perfectly valid statements - in some games the first goal is much more important than in other games. Most of the entries in this thread can be justified

ReputationRep:
    "what a waste"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matchdayG)
    If it were written, it would be 'weaker, (left) foot' but pundits and commentators don't have the time to make pauses.

'just about cleared it' ie, had some difficulty clearing it.

Oh, as opposed to years of 'Manchester United' etc.

tbh don't mean to pick on you specificaly m8, just i dislike when people complain about stuff like this. last time this thred was around somebody entered 'the first goal is crucial' - which is a perfectly valid statements - in some games the first goal is much more important than in other games. Most of the entries in this thread can be justified
    But I'm not reading, I'm watching. I can see which foot he hit it with, so "weaker" would suffice.

"Just about cleared it" is often used when a player has made a fine job of clearing the ball.

What's wrong with 'Manchester United'?

Another expression I hate, and hear lots of footballers using, is 'to be honest'. Why have you used that? It's completely superfluous.

ReputationRep:
    Football these day is soft
    In my days, it wouldn't have been a foul

ReputationRep:
    The [insert nationality] Messi. Any of those type of comparisons have just become so watered down/played out.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.