Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Should I meet this guy? Watch

I met this guy on OKcupid. We started talking about one of my favourite authors and things went on from there. Unlike most of the guys on there, he didn't come off as sleazy or desperate. He's seems well read, intelligent, witty and quite cultural. We're both the same age and quite compatible. We planned to meet at a museum and exchanged numbers but he had to cancel last minute due to academic commitments. After that he stopped talking to me, I left him alone as I considered he might be busy but I had hope he'd get in touch. During his sudden disappearance I grew progressively sadder as I thought he'd lost interest. I texted him and he asked who it was. I was confused and reminded him. He then said he deleted my number because he thought after he'd messed up, I wouldn't want to meet him. He then said that ironically, he's usually very reliable and would very much like to meet. I asked why he assumed this why he couldn't have just bluntly asked. I said (in a less aloof way) his last minute cancellation was understandable but his sudden disappearance caused greater damage. He never replied, not understanding that by doing so, he'd made matters worse. Should I relieve him and arrange to meet him again or should I just move on?

Bear on mind I've never been in a relationship before and he seems like one of I few guys I'd probably get along with.

ReputationRep:
    If you like him, go after him. Just tell him the truth about how you feel
    Explain to him what you have posted here

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he was embarrassed about cancelling as, he even said himself, that he's usually reliable. Perhaps he thought that you would get back in touch with him, and you obviously thought that he'd get in touch with you and things kinda got out of hand in that regard.

It sounds to me like he has very little experience of relationships and is shy. I would try to get up another date and, if he cancels again, I would probably forget about it.

(Original post by stressfest)
    Maybe he was embarrassed about cancelling as, he even said himself, that he's usually reliable. Perhaps he thought that you would get back in touch with him, and you obviously thought that he'd get in touch with you and things kinda got out of hand in that regard.

It sounds to me like he has very little experience of relationships and is shy. I would try to get up another date and, if he cancels again, I would probably forget about it.
    I did.

Well when he apologised, I said it was no problem at all and I hoped he was well. I thought that would relieve his doubts about my lost interest.

ReputationRep:
    It can be annoying when you meet someone you like and then things don't work out. If you really wanted you could just phone him, or text, and say you like him and you think you'd get on well together but if he's not up for it then now's the time to say. It's better to find out now rather than get strung along.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should at least meet the guy. It just sounds like various wires have been crossed and I don't think he has done anything untoward.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.