Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    so, I'm gonna be 18 soon, and i'm hopefully going to uni in September, but obviously, i'll be back to visit a lot and everything, and I'd quite like a double bed for my birthday.

I've brought this up before with my parents, and they were like lolno that's loads of washing, but i do my own washing now and this isn't an issue. I brought it up recently, and they say the concern is the cost of the mattress, although this isn't really that valid, because i work, and would be able to pay for it if i saved up.

So basically, my mum (ngl, that's who i need to persuade) doesn't like the idea, because she says doesn't understand why I want one. I'm not great at arguing, because I don't like it, so I cave really quickly, but I figured I might ask to see if anyone has any good arguments for (or against, i'll be open minded) it.

ReputationRep:
    well why do you want one?

I take it she thinks you want a double bed so there's space for two?

To be honest I have a single at home and a double at uni, I like the double at uni cos my partner stays at mine 95% of the time but couldn't really care less about having one at home, I know lots of people do say it's nicer to have more space, and I suppose it is a bit more 'grown up'

tbh if you're going to pay for it I dont think your mum can argue against you too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    well why do you want one?

I take it she thinks you want a double bed so there's space for two?

To be honest I have a single at home and a double at uni, I like the double at uni cos my partner stays at mine 95% of the time but couldn't really care less about having one at home, I know lots of people do say it's nicer to have more space, and I suppose it is a bit more 'grown up'

tbh if you're going to pay for it I dont think your mum can argue against you too much
    I do genuinely just want one for the lounging space. Also my cat. Cus otherwise she boots me off. (that's a terrible reason XD )

that's probably right, and it doesn't help that I have just got a new boyfriend.

I didn't know you could get doubles at uni? Are you in Halls?
    She can't do much about it if i pay for it, but my parents are the sort where (because i don't earn much) if i want something, and they don't think it's a bad idea, they'll chip in a bit, which would help a lot.

Thanks for the response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grace_14)
    I do genuinely just want one for the lounging space. Also my cat. Cus otherwise she boots me off. (that's a terrible reason XD )

that's probably right, and it doesn't help that I have just got a new boyfriend.

I didn't know you could get doubles at uni? Are you in Halls?
    She can't do much about it if i pay for it, but my parents are the sort where (because i don't earn much) if i want something, and they don't think it's a bad idea, they'll chip in a bit, which would help a lot.

Thanks for the response
    yeah plenty of people have doubles at uni although they're usually '3/4' sized beds, but big enough for two, I'm actually in private halls but plenty on campus get a double bed (although you usually pay for the privelege...)

what I would advise you is to just be really straight with your parents (even if it's a bit uncomfortable) and ask if it's because of your boyfriend and just be honest with them about your intentions, tell them you wont expect any rules they may have about sleepovers to change etc, if you show them you can have a mature conversation they will be a lot more inclined to trust you

ReputationRep:
    Thinking laterally, you could suggest to them they can use your room as a spare room for guests during university term time if your room has a double in it.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.