Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

how often do you take rest days? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just interested, I used to work out every other day but since I started cycle commuting I exercise a lot more, especially now the weather is nice I always feel like I just want to get outside for a bit, but looked at my dailymile account and I've only logged 1 rest day during april so far, is this bad? I am getting a bit worn out but I when the weathers this nice I don't want to sit around

and for the record I just do cardio type stuff, cycling, running and a bit of swimming, I know it's probably different for someone who can weight train a different muscle group each day

ReputationRep:
    I have one rest day a week. Either Thursday, Friday or Saturday depending on several things (often the weather, or if i've got a night out planned). It depends how much you train really, if you're serious about it and do a lot then you shouldn't be only having one day off in 3 weeks because you'll get completely worn out. If you just do light sessions for fun rather than training then rest days shouldn't be necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Every day is my rest day

ReputationRep:
    I commute everyday by bike and I also cycle, run or swim in the evenings/weekends for training. It is good for your body have a rest and I try to include 1-2 rest days a week where I walk to college and work.

ReputationRep:
    I go to the gym about 5 times a week but alternate the muscle groups. Then I do exercises in my room before I go to bed.

Even on the days I don't go to the gym, I'd like to go for a brisk walk otherwise I feel like I'm going mad

ReputationRep:
    I can't be arsed with routines. I just go out on my bike when i feel like it. As long as I am getting enough to be healthy I don't really care. I do it for the feel good factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txo)
    Every day is my rest day
    This was my thought upon seeing the thread title, but you really did need to accompany it with an image, such as below:

Name:  fat.png
Views: 62
Size:  235.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.R.A.W.A)
    I have one rest day a week. Either Thursday, Friday or Saturday depending on several things (often the weather, or if i've got a night out planned). It depends how much you train really, if you're serious about it and do a lot then you shouldn't be only having one day off in 3 weeks because you'll get completely worn out. If you just do light sessions for fun rather than training then rest days shouldn't be necessary.
    yeah I have lighter days where I just cycle to work (~14 miles), but at least 3 days a week it's a bit more intensive i.e. 8+ mile run, 30+ mile cycle, or 15mile cycle+5 mile run, I certainly wouldn't say I'm serious haha but I do enjoy exercising so I push fairly hard, especially on runs

ReputationRep:
    I think the need for rest days can be overstated, linked to the idea of overtraining which few people come close to. How often you need to rest (or go easier if not rest) depends on how hard you train, like has been said. If 14miles is entirely comfortable for you then it's more maintenance than training. You need to factor in that rest is also about how you sleep and how you eat. If you only sleep 5hrs a night and struggle to eat enough to maintain your weight then you'll need for days off to let your body recover. So imo it's a bit how long is a piece of string to work out but you're body will tell you. You need more rest when things start feeling harder than they should. You can then work out every X days I need to drop an intense training or every X weeks I'll do no intense training or make an effort to sleep/eat more or some combination of them.

Personally, on my regular training programme I lift 5 days per week (having built up to it from 4 per week then 5 per 8 days) then have a lighter/not challenging week every 1 in 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I think the need for rest days can be overstated, linked to the idea of overtraining which few people come close to. How often you need to rest (or go easier if not rest) depends on how hard you train, like has been said. If 14miles is entirely comfortable for you then it's more maintenance than training. You need to factor in that rest is also about how you sleep and how you eat. If you only sleep 5hrs a night and struggle to eat enough to maintain your weight then you'll need for days off to let your body recover. So imo it's a bit how long is a piece of string to work out but you're body will tell you. You need more rest when things start feeling harder than they should. You can then work out every X days I need to drop an intense training or every X weeks I'll do no intense training or make an effort to sleep/eat more or some combination of them.

Personally, on my regular training programme I lift 5 days per week (having built up to it from 4 per week then 5 per 8 days) then have a lighter/not challenging week every 1 in 4.
    that is good advice, 14 miles is comfortable, however due to my work I often lack sleep and struggle to keep my weight up (I don't get breaks so it's hard to eat), I've lost 5lbs in the last couple of months and just got a bad cold so I think thats probably telling me I'm doing too much!

ReputationRep:
    Used to lift 5 days a week when I was at school and Uni. I used to hate taking rest days back then in all honesty! Now I'm working I can't go to the gym as much so having rest days is no longer an issue.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.