Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Caroline Lucas found not guilty at fracking protests - CPS and government failed Watch

ReputationRep:
    Great news. Caroline Lucas and other protesters against fracking at the Caudrilla site in Sussex, who were arrested on public order and obstruction charges, have all been found not guilty on all counts.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27069345

This is excellent. Caudrilla, which is being used by Big Gas and Oil to test the water for fracking in the UK (no pun intended) is headed by Lord Browne, previously of BP and the subject of numerous allegations about perjuring himself in court and misusing company funds.

Fracking will not address the UK's energy needs, will not lower gas prices in the UK and will, if permitted, cause substantial local environmental damage and threaten water quality. It also leads to increased CO2 emissions.

ReputationRep:
    I love my MP. I actually told her that when I met her. She looked kinda scared.

Fracking seems to be working fine in America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I love my MP. I actually told her that when I met her. She looked kinda scared.
    You're in Brighton? That's great. :cool: I expect she gets a lot of weird stuff chucked at her, so don't worry, I'm sure she appreciates whatever support is sent her way. She does a great job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    You're in Brighton? That's great. :cool: I expect she gets a lot of weird stuff chucked at her, so don't worry, I'm sure she appreciates whatever support is sent her way. She does a great job.
    **** yeah. Brighton is where it's at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Fracking seems to be working fine in America.
    They have a very different picture there, energy is a local market - our gas prices are set at the European level and any fracked gas would be bought and sold there. So the price advantage is highly unlikely to be anywhere near what it has been in the US.

It also depends on what you mean by 'working fine'. Yes, it's increasing gas supply in the short term. However, it is also keeping the country hooked on fossil fuels, delaying the inevitable switching and increasing CO2 emissions in the meantime. There is a large amount of CO2 leakage in the fracking process and it is more damaging in greenhouse terms than traditional gas extraction.

They have a very different picture there, energy is a local market - our gas prices are set at the European level and any fracked gas would be bought and sold there. So the price advantage is highly unlikely to be anywhere near what it has been in the US.

It also depends on what you mean by 'working fine'. Yes, it's increasing gas supply in the short term. However, it is also keeping the country hooked on fossil fuels, delaying the inevitable switching and increasing CO2 emissions in the meantime. There is a large amount of CO2 leakage in the fracking process and it is more damaging in greenhouse terms than traditional gas extraction.
    America won't be switching. In fact, by 2050 they're expected to increase oil production and become the world's largest producer of oil. With that plus fracking they have no motivation to change. And let's be honest, few ordinary people truly care about CO2 emissions enough to make changes.

If there's enough fracked gas produced then why couldn't that change? The British government might find it's superior to make ourselves a local energy market. We don't know this yet though because we don't know whether there's a little gas or a huge amount.

Obviously, we wouldn't have the same price advantage as the US, but it might be significant.

ReputationRep:
    Great news. Caroline Lucas and other protesters against fracking at the Caudrilla site in Sussex, who were arrested on public order and obstruction charges, have all been found not guilty on all counts.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27069345

This is excellent. Caudrilla, which is being used by Big Gas and Oil to test the water for fracking in the UK (no pun intended) is headed by Lord Browne, previously of BP and the subject of numerous allegations about perjuring himself in court and misusing company funds.

Fracking will not address the UK's energy needs, will not lower gas prices in the UK and will, if permitted, cause substantial local environmental damage and threaten water quality. It also leads to increased CO2 emissions.
    How can has which reduces CO2 emissions lead to an increase in CO2 emissions? It churns out less than half the CO2 emissions per KWH than a coal fired power station does.

Are you aware the water table stuff is rubbish?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Can't argue with the jobs and growth that fracking will generate, I'm all for getting anything out of the ground that we have in abundance and profit from.

The water issue is solvable given greater regulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Can't argue with the jobs and growth that fracking will generate, I'm all for getting anything out of the ground that we have in abundance and profit from.

Unless its coal.

Whilst I am neutral on the topic of Fracking I am glad they didn't get prosecuted.

ReputationRep:

But the current government are determined not to regulate it. They have already signalled that the UK will have the weakest regulatory attitude to fracking in Europe. Also, it hardly inspires confidence that the lead company is headed by the former head of BP, a company notorious for its indifference to the local environment surrounding extraction operations.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    How can has which reduces CO2 emissions lead to an increase in CO2 emissions? It churns out less than half the CO2 emissions per KWH than a coal fired power station does.

Except it isn't. Based on the evidence we have at the moment, fracking can cause water pollution and there is a risk of it happening here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Unless its coal.

Whilst I am neutral on the topic of Fracking I am glad they didn't get prosecuted.
    UK coal is uncompetitive, it's cheaper just to import it from the likes of China.

But the current government are determined not to regulate it. They have already signalled that the UK will have the weakest regulatory attitude to fracking in Europe. Also, it hardly inspires confidence that the lead company is headed by the former head of BP, a company notorious for its indifference to the local environment surrounding extraction operations.
    Which if it causes water issues will be bad but the weakest regulatory regime in Europe is still probably more regulated than the USA.

ReputationRep:

Which if it causes water issues will be bad but the weakest regulatory regime in Europe is still probably more regulated than the USA.
    That isn't saying a lot. In the US, it has effectively been unregulated.

ReputationRep:
    UK coal is uncompetitive, it's cheaper just to import it from the likes of China.
    I know.

ReputationRep:

Fracking releases large quantities of methane, a much more intense greenhouse gas than CO2. It isn't me saying that, it's detailed research in the US.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-emit-methane/

ReputationRep:
    Fracking releases large quantities of methane, a much more intense greenhouse gas than CO2. It isn't me saying that, it's detailed research in the US.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-emit-methane/
    The article lost me when it claims that fracking creates earthquakes.

ReputationRep:
    And your point is? There is no question that fracking causes earthquakes, even the UK authorities admit that the small one at Blackpool was caused by it. They are low intensity but they are quakes.

I think you should try reading the whole article and stop making silly non-points.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They do, tiny ones though. It takes a 5.0 to threaten to bring down a chimney though and they are much smaller than that.

When it produces a 6.0 then that is the time to worry.

ReputationRep:
    They do, tiny ones though. It takes a 5.0 to threaten to bring down a chimney though and they are much smaller than that.

When it produces a 6.0 then that is the time to worry.
    A bus passing my house on a road creates a stronger earthquake than fracking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.