Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I currently study chemistry, maths, biology and French at 6th form but I am interested in taking French to a degree level (alongside Spanish ab initio). I know I don't do the typical A-levels associated with this course (history, English e.t.c.), so I don't know if I'll be disadvantaged in any way? I have a definite aptitude for languages, and I enjoy the area of study a lot. Additionally, I take an interest in literature (classical English and French) outside of school, and I have a passion for culture and history. Does anyone know of any particularly good courses/unis or has anyone studied languages with a science background at A-level?

Merci à l'avance!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll be disadvantaged at all, you have the A level in French which is what matters, so as long as you show your interest for languages in your personal statement you'll be fine I'm doing A levels in French German and Chemistry (and I did Maths for AS) and I don't think I was at a disadvantage not doing other humanities subjects, I managed to get all my offers anyway :P hope this helps a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine got in to do a French degree after doing A2 Maths, Physics and French and AS Chemistry, so it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage!

ReputationRep:
    Five offers for German and Italian after taking German, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goerginab123)
    I don't think you'll be disadvantaged at all, you have the A level in French which is what matters, so as long as you show your interest for languages in your personal statement you'll be fine I'm doing A levels in French German and Chemistry (and I did Maths for AS) and I don't think I was at a disadvantage not doing other humanities subjects, I managed to get all my offers anyway :P hope this helps a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the confidence boost! Out of interest, which French books/literature did you read? Any reccomendations? I'm reading l'etranger and Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban at the moment. Well done on your offers! Where are you studying now/ where are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRT12)
    Five offers for German and Italian after taking German, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at A Level.
    Cheers for the info, I feel I've got a better chance than I thought! where are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterytour)
    Cheers for the info, I feel I've got a better chance than I thought! where are you going to study?
    Offers from Warwick, Durham, London, Bath and Bristol. Still choosing at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRT12)
    Offers from Warwick, Durham, London, Bath and Bristol. Still choosing at the moment.
    Awesome! Looks like you've got a great choice of universities there! Good luck with your final exams and choosing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysterytour)
    Thanks for the confidence boost! Out of interest, which French books/literature did you read? Any reccomendations? I'm reading l'etranger and Harry Potter et le prisonnier d'Azkaban at the moment. Well done on your offers! Where are you studying now/ where are you going to study?
    Aha no worries I'm afraid I can't help you with the French reading really, I applied for German and Russian instead of French, so I'm not too knowledgable on French literature but what you're doing atm sounds good, I read harry potter in German as well aha thanks, well I got my offers from Birmingham, Exeter, Sheffield, Durham and Nottingham, and I firmed Sheffield a couple of weeks ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goerginab123)
    Aha no worries I'm afraid I can't help you with the French reading really, I applied for German and Russian instead of French, so I'm not too knowledgable on French literature but what you're doing atm sounds good, I read harry potter in German as well aha thanks, well I got my offers from Birmingham, Exeter, Sheffield, Durham and Nottingham, and I firmed Sheffield a couple of weeks ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, ok! Are you studying Russian from scratch or do you already know some? I think the Harry Potter books seem to translate well, but there are still some funny translations! 'Baguette' means wand in the French ones good luck at Sheffield!!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.