The Student Room Group

Questions about the pill

Hello, I have a few questions about pills! Firstly, not sure if I should go on the pill: My periods are quite far apart (more than 35 days cycle) and last a long time (more than 7 days) with quite a bit of dark brown blood afterwards. This is the primary reason for me even considering it! I also am sexually active and I think that the pill is always handy for that. Should I go on the pill?

Also, what happens at the doctors? Do you have to go back every time to get a new pack of pills? Can I ask for a female doctor or do they not examine you at all?

Any nasty side effects? Ive done some research but I'm not sure!

I'm 18 years old.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I have a few questions about pills! Firstly, not sure if I should go on the pill: My periods are quite far apart (more than 35 days cycle) and last a long time (more than 7 days) with quite a bit of dark brown blood afterwards. This is the primary reason for me even considering it! I also am sexually active and I think that the pill is always handy for that. Should I go on the pill?

Also, what happens at the doctors? Do you have to go back every time to get a new pack of pills? Can I ask for a female doctor or do they not examine you at all?

Any nasty side effects? Ive done some research but I'm not sure!

I'm 18 years old.

Thanks!

The combined pill will definitely help to regulate your periods, and may also make them lighter, shorter and less painful. As I'm sure you've seen online there are some reported side effects such as nausea, bloating, spotting, weight gain, breast tenderness. These are more common when you first start taking the pill and will usually go away within the first few months. If it doesn't, you can always change the brand until you find one that suits you. In my experience of 18 months on the pill, the only side effect I had was breast tenderness for the first month but nothing else. The pill has regulated my periods which were previously anywhere between 28-40 day cycle and made them lighter and less painful.

When you go to the docs they will ask you a few questions about your general health and any family history of illnesses. They'll take your weight and blood pressure to check they're not too high. They don't examine you in any other way, but you can still ask for a female doctor if you prefer. If everything is okay and you're suitable for the pill they will probably give you a 3 month prescription. After the 3 months you go back for a follow up appointment to check that everything is okay and your blood pressure has not risen too much. If all is good they will normally give you a 6 months-1 year prescription and you'd just go back once you need a new prescription.

Hope this helps. :smile:
remember that the pill is not your only option... there are lots of options.

I would suggest you google to find out where your nearest sexual health and contraception clinic is - many do walk ins, and go there are the people you see deal with this every day and will be able to give good advice

http://www.fpa.org.uk/contraception-help/my-contraception-tool
This is a handy little tool to find out what is available and what might be best for you. My main advice would be to Reasearch
Reply 3
You can request a female doctor but as far as I'm aware they don't to any "examinations" just questions about family history/lifestyle/weight etc. You go back when you need a new pill pack but if you don't have any risk factors they tend to give you more each time to last you, i.e. they start you on 3 months and then if every thing's fine they'll give you 6 months and then 9 then a year, I get a years worth each time but my friend who smokes only gets 6 months so i think it depends on your risk factors and possibly the type of pill.

I've never had side effects and it regulated my periods like you wouldn't believe, I can predict when I'm going to be on right down to a 2 hour time period most of the time, although the nurses were surprised that it's THAT regular for me but you should be able to predict it down to the day (it should be the same day each month)

There are other options that your doctor will gladly talk you through when you go, you can just go to a family planning clinic too if you don't want to wait for an appointment but I'd advise getting there as soon as it opens to avoid a queue, at my clinic if you arrive more than 5 minutes after opening you're guaranteed at least a 2 hour wait!

Do some research first, maybe rule out anything you definitely don't want, think of any questions about different methods and so on and so forth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
The pill I take I don't have a period at all........I take it every day no problems as long as it's within a 12 hour window of the original time I took the pill for example if I took it at 10pm on the Wednesday of my first pack as long as I had taken the next pill by 10am Friday morning no problem. This is perfect for me as I'm a Uni student who works as a chef and occasionally fall asleep when I get home forgetting to take it.
Don't know about any of you guys but as I am a lil overweight - not much mind - I have to go back every 6 months although not a smoker.
Hope this helps xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest