Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please give me a text book answer defining these terms separately?

I just want something I can write down in my notes and learn, the text book doesn't really explain it very well!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    Could someone please give me a text book answer defining these terms separately?

I just want something I can write down in my notes and learn, the text book doesn't really explain it very well!
    It doesn't explain it well because there isn't one.

Absolute motion requires a a frame of reference from which all motion throughout the universe is measured. None exists because every place in the universe is moving wrt to everywhere else.

Measurements on earth are made wrt to the ground. But the planet is moving in space wrt the sun. The sun is moving in space wrt to our galaxy. Galaxies are moving wrt othe galaxies. Where does the universe stop? Where is the absolute reference which can be agreed for the whole universe?

If motion cannot be referenced to an absolute definition, then time cannot be absolute either since all definitions of time are referenced to events in space. And since we have just concluded there is no absolute definition of motion and hence space, time has no absolute reference either.

These are conundrums from which Einstein's theories of relativity were developed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    It doesn't explain it well because there isn't one.

Absolute motion requires a a frame of reference from which all motion throughout the universe is measured. None exists because every place in the universe is moving wrt to everywhere else.

Measurements on earth are made wrt to the ground. But the planet is moving in space wrt the sun. The sun is moving in space wrt to our galaxy. Galaxies are moving wrt othe galaxies. Where does the universe stop? Where is the absolute reference which can be agreed for the whole universe?

If motion cannot be referenced to an absolute definition, then time cannot be absolute either since all definitions of time are referenced to events in space. And since we have just concluded there is no absolute definition of motion and hence space, time has no absolute reference either.

These are conundrums from which Einstein's theories of relativity were developed.
    Thanks, makes it a bit clearer!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.