The Student Room Group

Maximum Possible Error

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/2000papers/nm03ja.pdf

For q1, i dont understand how from determining the maximum possible error for all valus of f(x) to be 0.005, they calculated the max possible error in the linear estimate of f(0.8)

markscheme and paper are attached

could anyone explain please
Reply 1
They mean the maximum possible rounding error..
Reply 2
Original post by Jooooshy
They mean the maximum possible rounding error..

But i dont understand how the calculation they have made represents that. Tbh i am unsure as to where the numbers have come from, except 0.005=r obviously.

Could you explain their actual calculation please
Reply 3
Original post by newblood
But i dont understand how the calculation they have made represents that. Tbh i am unsure as to where the numbers have come from, except 0.005=r obviously.

Could you explain their actual calculation please

They rounded to two decimal places in their actual calculations. If they rounded to say, 0.02, the highest it could have been is 0.025, lowest is 0.015 = 0.005 maximum error.
Reply 4
They rounded to two decimal places in their actual calculations. If they rounded to say, 0.02, the highest it could have been is 0.025, lowest is 0.015 = 0.005 maximum error.

Im talking about the second part of 1 ii)

The first part of 1ii) is obviously 0.005 which is the max error in each f(x). But they then want the max error in the linear estimate which they calculate as:

0.005(1+0.8*2)=0.013 [2nd line of markscheme for 1ii]

Can you explain how they did that please
Reply 5

nvm i just realised now.

you seem a bit confused also so if you would like me to explain just reply, though i think your just looking at a different part to the question than i was stuck on (the one before) !
Reply 6
Original post by newblood
nvm i just realised now.

you seem a bit confused also so if you would like me to explain just reply, though i think your just looking at a different part to the question than i was stuck on (the one before) !

Haha yeah just re-read OP. Thought it said 'didn't understand how they got 0.005' instead of 'didn't understand how they went from 0.005'

Quick Reply

Latest