Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mei.org.uk/files/2000papers/nm03ja.pdf

For q1, i dont understand how from determining the maximum possible error for all valus of f(x) to be 0.005, they calculated the max possible error in the linear estimate of f(0.8)

markscheme and paper are attached

could anyone explain please
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They mean the maximum possible rounding error..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    They mean the maximum possible rounding error..
    But i dont understand how the calculation they have made represents that. Tbh i am unsure as to where the numbers have come from, except 0.005=r obviously.

Could you explain their actual calculation please
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    But i dont understand how the calculation they have made represents that. Tbh i am unsure as to where the numbers have come from, except 0.005=r obviously.

Could you explain their actual calculation please
    They rounded to two decimal places in their actual calculations. If they rounded to say, 0.02, the highest it could have been is 0.025, lowest is 0.015 = 0.005 maximum error.

ReputationRep:
    They rounded to two decimal places in their actual calculations. If they rounded to say, 0.02, the highest it could have been is 0.025, lowest is 0.015 = 0.005 maximum error.
    Im talking about the second part of 1 ii)

The first part of 1ii) is obviously 0.005 which is the max error in each f(x). But they then want the max error in the linear estimate which they calculate as:

0.005(1+0.8*2)=0.013 [2nd line of markscheme for 1ii]

Can you explain how they did that please

ReputationRep:
    nvm i just realised now.

you seem a bit confused also so if you would like me to explain just reply, though i think your just looking at a different part to the question than i was stuck on (the one before) !
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    nvm i just realised now.

you seem a bit confused also so if you would like me to explain just reply, though i think your just looking at a different part to the question than i was stuck on (the one before) !
    Haha yeah just re-read OP. Thought it said 'didn't understand how they got 0.005' instead of 'didn't understand how they went from 0.005'

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.