The Student Room Group

Moving home from accommodation

In a month or so, I will be travelling home from the uni. I study abroad in the UK, so I have the take a plane back to my home country. The problem is that I don't know what to do with my stuff. In September, 2nd year of my course, I will be moving into a house with a couple friends. The thing is that I am able to put my stuff there, but the landlord told us that we can't put too much stuff there. I have a lot of stuff, mostly clothes and shoes, that I know won't fit into just one suitcase.

My options are:
* I am home right now, so I could bring two suitcases back to the uni and fill them with stuff to bring back. The airline charges extra for another suitcase. I have never brought two suitcases for a flight, and I am not sure how stressful it can be to hassle with two suitcases at the airport.
* I could rent a storage room for approximately £100 during the summer.
* Bring one suitcase back to the uni and fill it up. The rest of the stuff will be stored in the house (but not all of it, because we can't bring everything to the new house) or thrown away.

What should I do? Any other options?
(edited 10 years ago)
Are you paying to store your stuff in the house you will be living in? Is there a particular reason why you can only store a certain amount of stuff? Maybe you could explain your situation to the landlord seeing as you're actually studying abroad?
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringDoctor
Are you paying to store your stuff in the house you will be living in? Is there a particular reason why you can only store a certain amount of stuff? Maybe you could explain your situation to the landlord seeing as you're actually studying abroad?

No, we are not paying to store the stuff there. I am not sure why we can't store whatever we wan't, but possibly because there is going to be some construction work inside the house. But they are not going to touch the majority of the bedrooms.

One of our future housemates works as a bridge between us and the landlord. I have asked him to ask the landlord about storing stuff, and the landlord told us that we can store stuff, but I am not sure if the landlord or our guy says that we can't store everything. Our friend could be a little bit too worried or something. Because I know all of my stuff I am going to leave behind in the UK will for sure fit into a bedroom.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kingquang
No, we are not paying to store the stuff there. I am not sure why we can't store whatever we wan't, but possibly because there is going to be some construction work inside the house. But they are not going to touch the majority of the bedrooms.

One of our future housemates works as a bridge between us and the landlord. I have asked him to ask the landlord about storing stuff, and the landlord told us that we can store stuff, but I am not sure if the landlord or our guy says that we can't store everything. Our friend could be a little bit too worried or something. Because I know all of my stuff I am going to leave behind in the UK will for sure fit into a bedroom.

Then it would seem that you have the options you listed in your original post or you could ask the housemate to clarify with the landlord again about how much you are allowed to store.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending