The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

I have 6 A stars and 4 A s, can I apply for Oxbridge with these results because people say you need a minimum of 8 A stars?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sky2000
I have 6 A stars and 4 A s, can I apply for Oxbridge with these results because people say you need a minimum of 8 A stars?

Yes, you can apply with those results. There is no minimum of 8A* required.
Depends on the subject.A-levels matter much more,especially for Cambridge.
Reply 3
are these your GCSE or A levels ?
Reply 4
As an example, in my year, 7 people applied to Cambridge to study Maths. 3 got offers. The 3 to get offers were the only 3 students in the year with 0A*s at GCSE.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear

Which monster does 10 A-Levels? Excluding one rare individual who did 23, the highest I've heard of is 7. I presume they're his GCSEs.

Original post by ermm
As an example, in my year, 7 people applied to Cambridge to study Maths. 3 got offers. The 3 to get offers were the only 3 students in the year with 0A*s at GCSE.

That's rare; I imagine most people will at least have A*s in their selected subject.

OP, yes, it's definitely possible.
(edited 10 years ago)
I got 9A*s and I still didn't get in, depends if your going for a competitive subject or not, if you are then still give it a go but most people will have better GCSE's than you
Reply 7
Had a presentation by the admissions person of magdalene college a couple of weeks ago in cambridge who showed a graph of results of people who got in. It was a range of a* from none to 12 or so but average 6/7/8 I'd say so plenty of people got in with 6 and less a*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by the bear

This post is even more stupid than the original post
Reply 9
Original post by mahatma ghandi
I got 9A*s and I still didn't get in, depends if your going for a competitive subject or not, if you are then still give it a go but most people will have better GCSE's than you

omfg, gandhi didn't get into oxbridge! your life is a failure - you'll never amount to anything. :tongue:
Reply 10

I got 3 and got in, there is a lot more to it.

OP-what subject are you applying for and what are your A2/AS grades/predictions?
Original post by james22

OP-what subject are you applying for and what are your A2/AS grades/predictions?

What course? And my other factors weren't exactly bad, AS- 5A's, predicted, 3A*s, TSA score of 67
Reply 12
Original post by james22

What did you apply for, what were your AS subjects and UMS percent average?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
What course? And my other factors weren't exactly bad, AS- 5A's, predicted, 3A*s, TSA score of 67

Maths.

Original post by Dylann
What did you apply for, what were your AS subjects and UMS percent average?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths. I did maths, fmaths, physics and chemistry. Don't recall UMS, Oxford don't look at them anyway.
Original post by james22
Maths.

Maths. I did maths, fmaths, physics and chemistry. Don't recall UMS, Oxford don't look at them anyway.

The point is GCSE's are important, but I agree other factors are equally if not more important, as I said at the first, it is definitely worth applying with 6A*s at GCSE
Reply 15
The point is GCSE's are important, but I agree other factors are equally if not more important, as I said at the first, it is definitely worth applying with 6A*s at GCSE

Your post gave the impression that it wasn't worth applying, I don't want the OP to think that.
I'm afraid it's London Met for you.
Original post by james22
Your post gave the impression that it wasn't worth applying, I don't want the OP to think that.

It wasn't supposed to, I used the phrase "its worth giving it a go". And that was talking about competitive subjects
Reply 18
You only need them if you are applying for medicine and veterinary science. If you order the prospectus (it's free by the way, and it only takes 3 days to be delivered) or go to the website they state that it doesn't matter for other courses other than those I mentioned.
Original post by kkboyk
You only need them if you are applying for medicine and veterinary science. If you order the prospectus (it's free by the way, and it only takes 3 days to be delivered) or go to the website they state that it doesn't matter for other courses other than those I mentioned.

Medicine and Vet Medicine don't have an 8A* minimum either.

Medicine and Vet Medicine are the only courses with an official minimum GCSE requirement (it's a very low requirement). Obviously other courses will still consider GCSE results, they just don't have an official minimum requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending