Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

REALLY bad relationship with food... no one will listen:( Watch

Hey, I'm 16 and female. I have got a serious obsession with my weight, and the constant thought that I'm not good enough. My relationship with food is really bad because not only has it deteriorated, but I feel guilty when ive eaten, I try to avoid carbs, I try not to eat snacks higher than 100 calories, I often spit food out or throw it away and think that 800-1000 calories per day is too much. I have started to do more exercise, not much but a bit of cardio each day. I've spoken to a counsellor and a nurse but they don't seem to realise how bad this is for me. I want to eat properly but I'm terrified of putting all the weight back on again. My parents and family don't understand either, they think it's just me being stupid... but the fear of putting on weight controls my life ... and I don't know what to do anymore. I've searched the internet, and its apparent I could have a form of anorexia but I don't know if that's true. Please please help me! I know there are lots of people out there who have had eating disorders or poor relationships with food... I would really appreciate any help or guidance. THANK YOU!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh darling I hope you are feeling okay. I have never personally suffered with this but a close friend of mine did as younger teen. It's a positive that you've admitted that it's bothering you now though. I'm not 100% sure how I can help you though all I can really say is that it would be beneficial for you to eat with people and maybe allow someone else to prepare your meals so you cannot control what is in your food.

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your gp about it. To be honest, there probably isn't a great deal your counsellor can do if you're not in immediate danger, and I don't know what capacity you're seeing a nurse in, but its really better to see a doctor and ask for a mental health referral.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel - I'm the exact same. I've never really directly mentioned it to anyone, but some people notice and try and force me to eat, but I eat more than a meal and I feel super ill. I'm doing my best to ignore the nagging in my head, because I'm too scared to actually approach anyone and I don't feel like I'm actually 'ill' over it - but I imagine the best thing is to do is to try and motivate yourself out of it somehow. If you motivated yourself to think this way one way or another, there must be something that works the other way round

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.