Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Advice for coming across well at interviews? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have a very important interview very soon and I'm really nervous about it. I think my problem is that I'm not very articulate. I have ideas in my head and they are just floating around there, but when I say them out loud it just sounds so rubbish and like I'm just throwing random words out there.
    I just can't put words to my feelings. I don't know what to do about this problem. I mean the whole point of an interview is to talk, but when I talk I don't sound like I know what I'm saying. I don't know how I can talk properly when someone is staring at me.
    Does anyone have any advise? I really just want to try my best

ReputationRep:
    There`s always the same questions that get asked in interviews: tell me about yourself, why should be employ you, where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc. A good googling will give loads of examples. It helps loads if you prepare answers for these in advance and memorise them.

It always helps to remember that the person doing the interview is probably just as nervous as you are!

ReputationRep:
    Get people that you don't know particularly well to give you practise interviews. It's too hard to stay serious if you're too close with them.

ReputationRep:
    My absolute #1 is to see it as a conversation - just a chat. Stay polite, stay with your answers in your mind, but just don't put on 'interview airs'. Interviewers want to see you and what you can bring. Don't put them on a pedestal, engage with them on their level and be interested in what they are saying. Don't worry too much about what is coming out of your mouth; if you have done the work beforehand, and if you are listening to what they are wanting from you, just speak calmly and casually, as if you are telling a friend about your experience, or what this responsibility meant to you, etc. This is my favourite 'thing' about how I like to approach interviews. I agree it depends on whether or not you are a charismatic person from the get, but to be honest I don't think I always am, and it's not necessarily about forcing yourself to seem that outgoing. It's just about embellishing alone, not needing them to repeat parts of the question to get more out of you. Just see it as a conversation, not an interrogation.

Other than that - take the stickers from the bottom of your new shoes (oops!), wear things that make you feel good and important, have water on hand, and don't stress if you need a moment to consider their question in order to answer it properly. You wouldn't be there if you didn't think you could succeed in the interview - all you need to do is show them that you are an intelligent, interesting person that they can invest in.

Specifically for your question, you need to have some 'mock' interviews. Whether it's with a parent, with friends, or with a careers department in your school/university. I think it really is practice makes perfect with 'jumbled' thoughts and articulation.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely concur with those recommending some practice interviews, ideally with someone that you can easily get a bit of professional 'distance' from.

A glass of water, as mentioned by awe, is a very powerful tool when in pressure situations. I do a lot of presenting and Q&A's and would never not be armed with a glass. Wonderful for controlling your thoughts and tempo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorobolorolo)
    I'm going to have a very important interview very soon and I'm really nervous about it. I think my problem is that I'm not very articulate. I have ideas in my head and they are just floating around there, but when I say them out loud it just sounds so rubbish and like I'm just throwing random words out there.

Sounds like you need to relax a bit more. Remember, you will have a legitimate answer for every question they ask you.

Best advice I've ever had for important interviews: If you've offered water/tea/coffee ALWAYS TAKE IT. If you have a difficult question, you can sip your drink while you take a moment to decide how you're going to answer.

Cheers,

TDWM.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.