The Student Room Group

Choices and restrictions

I'm currently a year 11 student and want to study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics or biology for A-levels.

I was wondering which subject would work well with the other three subjects, physics or biology. I don't really know what I would like to do at University (maybe maths or engineering) but I want to make sure that the combination between all the subjects are strong and some content does overlap. I'm leaning towards physics but I always have second thoughts.

The sixth form that I am going to does not offer further maths and I REALLY would like to study it. What do I do and how do I do it?

Thanks a lot, it'll really help :biggrin:
Original post by TheName'sAmira
I'm currently a year 11 student and want to study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics or biology for A-levels.

I was wondering which subject would work well with the other three subjects, physics or biology. I don't really know what I would like to do at University (maybe maths or engineering) but I want to make sure that the combination between all the subjects are strong and some content does overlap. I'm leaning towards physics but I always have second thoughts.

The sixth form that I am going to does not offer further maths and I REALLY would like to study it. What do I do and how do I do it?

Thanks a lot, it'll really help :biggrin:

Both work well, Physics overlaps to a greater extent with the other three and is ideal if you're looking to go down the Maths/Engineering route, but Biology combines with Chemistry and offers something alternative to the others.

If you're good at Maths (which clearly you are if you're considering FM) it'll make Physics a lot easier for you.

You could potentially self-teach, but I think it'd be difficult to. Talk to the exams officer at your school, and perhaps the Head of Maths to see if it'd be possible, even if it means one of the current Maths teachers doing one-on-one sessions after-school or a tutor outside of school to go through the content with you. If you're good at Maths and willing to put the work in for Further Maths then I cannot see why they wouldn't let you study it, especially as it'll boost your application if you plan to go down the Mathematics/Engineering route at university.
Original post by moggington
Both work well, Physics overlaps to a greater extent with the other three and is ideal if you're looking to go down the Maths/Engineering route, but Biology combines with Chemistry and offers something alternative to the others.

If you're good at Maths (which clearly you are if you're considering FM) it'll make Physics a lot easier for you.

You could potentially self-teach, but I think it'd be difficult to. Talk to the exams officer at your school, and perhaps the Head of Maths to see if it'd be possible, even if it means one of the current Maths teachers doing one-on-one sessions after-school or a tutor outside of school to go through the content with you. If you're good at Maths and willing to put the work in for Further Maths then I cannot see why they wouldn't let you study it, especially as it'll boost your application if you plan to go down the Mathematics/Engineering route at university.

Do you think it will be worth taking on biology because of the alternative skills that it will show other than problem solving? Or should I just stick to Physics as it does combine quite readily with both of the maths? It'll make my studies much easier.

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by TheName'sAmira
Do you think it will be worth taking on biology because of the alternative skills that it will show other than problem solving? Or should I just stick to Physics as it does combine quite readily with both of the maths? It'll make my studies much easier.

Thank you so much :smile:

I definitely don't think it'd be frowned upon at all if you went with Physics, if you're looking to go down that route then it'll equip you with the skills to continue something similar at university and both admissions tutors as well as employers will acknowledge this.

Quick Reply

Latest