Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I want to become a journalist and present in documentaries. Should I do English and communications or English and film studies? Or other suggestions(excluding journalism and media degrees on it own)?

ReputationRep:
    English and Communications makes much more sense. I study Communications, and it's a very broad course, covering lots of areas of the media such as journalism and film studies, as well as advertising, and cultural studies. With Film, you may learn a lot about the practicalities of operating cameras, but you may not necessarily get the opportunity to find out about the history of journalism.

But do your research on which unis offer what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaheenl0ve)
    English and Communications makes much more sense. I study Communications, and it's a very broad course, covering lots of areas of the media such as journalism and film studies, as well as advertising, and cultural studies. With Film, you may learn a lot about the practicalities of operating cameras, but you may not necessarily get the opportunity to find out about the history of journalism.

But do your research on which unis offer what
    Ok thanks, I'll have a look at course content. I'm choosing these courses from KCL.

ReputationRep:
    First one seems like it makes more sense, the latter would be far more interesting (isn't it a branch of literature concerning film as a genre, like drama?).

Have you considered a literature degree? That's respected no matter what you (within reason).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    First one seems like it makes more sense, the latter would be far more interesting (isn't it a branch of literature concerning film as a genre, like drama?).

Have you considered a literature degree? That's respected no matter what you (within reason).
    I think I may look at some literature degrees, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you are serious about this, then think of your top five favourite presenters and check out what their background is. Many people who present in documentaries are experts in that area, so they come from the field the documentary is about. For example, wildlife or history.

Journalism is a separate thing altogether - you don't have to be a journalist to be a presenter - there is also a limited cross over between journalism and documentary.

It will help you to have journalism training obviously if you want to become a journalist.

It may help you to try and work out why it is that particular presenters are selected to do particular jobs. What qualities do you think they have that the producers are looking for?

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.