The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QuantumSuicide
It's very unfair that further maths people sit the same c1-4 exams as us normal maths people. They get to study more difficult maths and They raise the grade boundaries and steal all the A grades

I think further maths and normal maths takers should sit separate exams

Discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not denying what you said about grade boundaries, however the question remains:

If you recognise that people doing Further Mathematics have an advantage, why aren't you studying it? (Assuming that you're not)
Reply 2
Original post by alexmufc1995
I'm not denying what you said about grade boundaries, however the question remains:

If you recognise that people doing Further Mathematics have an advantage, why aren't you studying it? (Assuming that you're not)

Probably doesn't want to study it..
It's very unfair that further maths people sit the same c1-4 exams as us normal maths people. They get to study more difficult maths and They raise the grade boundaries and steal all the A grades

I think further maths and normal maths takers should sit separate exams

Discuss

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to put things as diplomatically as possible and remain polite......but.....in short....absolute rubbish. :smile: (and that is said with respect rather than keyboard warrior tone).
Further is a waste of time, you only need it if u want to go to Oxford or cambridge
Reply 5
Original post by chukster97
Further is a waste of time, you only need it if u want to go to Oxford or cambridge

no you dont .... lots of unis require FM at A-level...
Reply 6
Guys pls, I'm a genius so don't fire shots at me. All i'm asking for is fairer exams. This way da further maths people can be stretched and challenged innit fam

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Guys pls, I'm a genius so don't fire shots at me. All i'm asking for is fairer exams. This way da further maths people can be stretched and challenged innit fam

Posted from TSR Mobile

2/10.
We don't steal just the A grades... :colone:

(I'm implying a lot of FM students get an A* in Maths).
Reply 9
Original post by rayquaza17
We don't steal just the A grades... :colone:

(I'm implying a lot of FM students get an A* in Maths).

Exactly! Somebody pls forward my brilliant idea to michael government

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Any technical subject at a good university will prefer a candidate with further. Maths, physics and engineering courses will ask for it or give you 'subsidised' offer with further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, I hate it when al the smart and able students take the highest grades and raise the boundaries...:rolleyes:

At current, its 80% for A, right? Whats wrong with that!

Or imperial or warwick,
Its also pretty much requirement for computer science and these universities.
Or Physics.
Or if you want to apply for straight maths at lots of other great university like Kings, UCL, etc...
Its also generally agreed to be one of the hardest A levels, the content stretching out into areas you will cover first year of university on a maths course. If you can do it, it puts you at pole position for the most competitive STEM courses in the UK.

But sure, waste of time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
You left out the part where they do 8 other math exams. Which are a lot more difficult than c1-4 like s3 or fp1-3.
Reply 13
The grade boundaries aren't exactly that high, if you're complaining, how about developing your understanding and reading up on some FP1?

AS maths is a walk in the park provided you know your stuff.
Reply 14
You're point is fundamentally invalid. If there was a genuine huge advantage all math students would do f maths just for the better maths. Grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
this reminds me of some students in my year group complaining about the 'mechanics' in the C3 paper saying that further maths students had an unfair advantage :rofl: You learn the exact same content for the exam so you can't blame the fact you didn't understand the content on not having done more content ontop of that content
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

In FM you do 6 extra exams...compared to normal M

Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I agree, I hate it when al the smart and able students take the highest grades and raise the boundaries...:rolleyes:

At current, its 80% for A, right? Whats wrong with that!

Or imperial or warwick,
Its also pretty much requirement for computer science and these universities.
Or Physics.
Or if you want to apply for straight maths at lots of other great university like Kings, UCL, etc...
Its also generally agreed to be one of the hardest A levels, the content stretching out into areas you will cover first year of university on a maths course. If you can do it, it puts you at pole position for the most competitive STEM courses in the UK.

But sure, waste of time.

Its not 80% for an A ... it changes every year but i think its normally around 62-64 out of 75 for an A .... which is around 82-85%
Reply 17
They do study for all of it in just 1 year though, it's not like they do all the exams after doing FP modules.

Plenty of A level maths students get A/A*, if you understand and can apply what you've learnt there's no reason you can't get at least 68+, which is an A (with the exception of very few extremely easy papers). Stop whining about it and revise.
OP do you realise that most people take C1-C4 without having looked at the Further maths course? As in we take C1-C4 a year early.

In Lower Sixth I took C1-C4 M1-M2 S1-S2
The butthurt is palpable lol. :smile:
I am sorry for making this thread. I hope i didnt hurt anyone's feelings.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest