Aaradhana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
In the equation, Bqv=F, is q=1 Coloumb or is it equal to 1.6 x 10-19 C (like in eV)?
Jaydude
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes Q is charge of the charged particle, measured in coulombs I believe. In most questions Q is equal to 1.6x10^-19 as this will be the charge of electron or proton. ( and positron

Also don't think Q is a specific constant! It can be any number (likely very very small) which is the charge of the particle investigated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zakee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
F = BQv.

B = flux density (this is generally constant and is any value) , Q = Charge (this could be any value). v = velocity of charged particle.
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jaydude)
Yes Q is charge of the charged particle, measured in coulombs I believe. In most questions Q is equal to 1.6x10^-19 as this will be the charge of electron or proton. ( and positron

Also don't think Q is a specific constant! It can be any number (likely very very small) which is the charge of the particle investigated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Zakee)
F = BQv.

B = flux density (this is generally constant and is any value) , Q = Charge (this could be any value). v = velocity of charged particle.
Yea, I know it's no specafic value but that was my question, is it taken in terms of electrons (as in would 1.6 x 10-19 C) be taken as one or is it like any other equation, because the value of the constant B, depends on this, right... Sorry, I think I framed the question wrong.
Zakee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aaradhana)
Yea, I know it's no specafic value but that was my question, is it taken in terms of electrons (as in would 1.6 x 10-19 C) be taken as one or is it like any other equation, because the value of the constant B, depends on this, right... Sorry, I think I framed the question wrong.

No, charge is measured in coulombs, not in "amounts of electron". Two Coulombs of charge is different from two electrons.
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the equation, Bqv=F, is q=1 Coloumb or is it equal to 1.6 x 10-19 C (like in eV)?
If you're considering electrons then you'd use the electron charge of 1.6x10-19C but if not then you'll consider the given charge.

(Original post by Zakee)
No, charge is measured in coulombs, not in "amounts of electron". Two Coulombs of charge is different from two electrons.
This is a good explanation of it :yy:
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zakee)
(Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth)
If you're considering electrons then you'd use the electron charge of 1.6x10-19C but if not then you'll consider the given charge.

This is a good explanation of it :yy:
Thanks!
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
OK, sorry to bring this up again, but what confuses me is that the electronvolt is written as eV. And then sometimes, Bqv is written as Bev (I know v is velocity here so it's different) but why is e used rather than q? I just don't get the point! It's very confusing!
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, sorry to bring this up again, but what confuses me is that the electronvolt is written as eV. And then sometimes, Bqv is written as Bev (I know v is velocity here so it's different) but why is e used rather than q? I just don't get the point! It's very confusing!
When they use 'e' it means the charge of an electron, but when it says 'q' it means just charge and that they're not specifically focusing on electron charge. It's usually electrons that are considered in these situations, which is why you'll often see 'e'.

F=bev has nothing to do with eV (electron volts) because energy is not considered here, and electron volts are a unit of energy.

Hope this helps
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth)
When they use 'e' it means the charge of an electron, but when it says 'q' it means just charge and that they're not specifically focusing on electron charge. It's usually electrons that are considered in these situations, which is why you'll often see 'e'.

F=bev has nothing to do with eV (electron volts) because energy is not considered here, and electron volts are a unit of energy.

Hope this helps
Ok, I finally get that... Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads