Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last night, I woke up around 2:30 and had trouble falling back asleep. Eventually I finally fell asleep but had a series of nightmares and kept waking up between each one. The last nightmare I had, I was in my room and I saw my old keyboard (which isn't in my room anymore) move away from the wall on its own. Then in the dream I closed my eyes and physically could not open them, nor could I move any part of my body. I'm not sure if the rest is dreaming or hallucination or what - my dog was sleeping next to me in real life and I could feel him there at this point, but I also heard an animal snoring from the foot of my bed even though nothing was there. Then I felt my body (which was still "paralyzed") become sort of weightless and I felt the sensation of sitting up, but it felt involuntary. I also felt some sort of breeze in the room...

The whole time this was happening I was actually thinking "this must be sleep paralysis," but I was confused because I thought sleep paralysis involved actually seeing visions, and because I know the keyboard part had to have been a dream. Whatever it was, it's never happened to me before and it was terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds cool as ****. I want this to happen to me...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it to me. I get it sometimes, I find that wriggling my toes helps to get me out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan9900)
    Sounds cool as ****. I want this to happen to me...
    I'd say it was 10% cool, 90% terrifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may348)
    I'd say it was 10% cool, 90% terrifying.
    Would be awesome to experience though! I guess the novelty might wear off though.

ReputationRep:
    Does sound like it might be sleep paralysis; it doesn't have to involve visual hallucinations, it can involve other sensations, sounds, emotions etc.

I've had sleep paralysis quite a few times and I don't think I've ever had visual hallucinations. The first time I had it there was just this terrifying sense of something being in the room with me; the feeling was so intense though that I don't think I've ever felt so scared in my whole life (I had been having this weird dream about my house being haunted beforehand). The last time I had it I remember feeling like someone was pushing my duvet on top of me and suffocating me with it.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. I've had it a few times and it's amazing just how real it feels. The one's I can remember:
    -Had a dream my flatmate was placing heavy objects onto my chest. Could literally feel my chest sinking and it was difficult to breathe
    -Had a nightmare about some scary asian girl (think I saw a japanese horror recently) She tried to stab me with her fingers and it hurt
    -Had a dream I invented something incredible and it was sitting on my bedside table. Heard people in the room trying to steal it, and heard the wood on the table scratching as they picked it up

All of the times I was semi awake, unable to move anything apart from my eyes

Honestly, sleep paralysis is awesome

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, after reading the Wikipedia article on SP I'm sure that's what it was. Apparently disrupted sleep and sleeping in the supine position (which I was) can cause it.

It was weird because I actually have lucid dreams all the time, so I'm used to being able to wake myself up. Trying to open my eyes and being physically unable to was a whole new experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this sounds like sleep paralysis. You were most likely in a lucid dream. Your brain is working, but your body isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may348)
    Last night, I woke up around 2:30 and had trouble falling back asleep. Eventually I finally fell asleep but had a series of nightmares and kept waking up between each one. The last nightmare I had, I was in my room and I saw my old keyboard (which isn't in my room anymore) move away from the wall on its own. Then in the dream I closed my eyes and physically could not open them, nor could I move any part of my body. I'm not sure if the rest is dreaming or hallucination or what - my dog was sleeping next to me in real life and I could feel him there at this point, but I also heard an animal snoring from the foot of my bed even though nothing was there. Then I felt my body (which was still "paralyzed") become sort of weightless and I felt the sensation of sitting up, but it felt involuntary. I also felt some sort of breeze in the room...

The whole time this was happening I was actually thinking "this must be sleep paralysis," but I was confused because I thought sleep paralysis involved actually seeing visions, and because I know the keyboard part had to have been a dream. Whatever it was, it's never happened to me before and it was terrifying.
    Yes. You were transitioning Into an OBE (out of body experience) state but it seems as if you didn't want to or couldn't hold the sensation. If you did you would be able to fly and it would feel as if you soul or ghost has come out and you literally can do anything. Similar to lucid dreaming but some argue your soul leave your body. But this can be extremely scary as you experience hallucinations and you float involuntarily. Research OBE's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2014
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.