The Student Room Group

Philosophy AS exam thread

Another guy posted a thread about revision but I didn't want to hijack it...

Philosophy AQA AS general?

Anybody got any guesses for what the persons questions might be?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im guessing cosmo? hasn't come up for the last couple of years
Cosmo?
Reply 3
oh damn misread your question LOL :eek:... what exam board you doing?
AQA; Just realised that I need way better marks than I thought I did to get an A...

Why are the grade boundaries so high? :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Another guy posted a thread about revision but I didn't want to hijack it...

Philosophy AS general?

Anybody got any guesses for what the persons questions might be?

I think you may have been talking about my thread :colondollar:

I am actually so scared for this exam :frown:
I need a B minimum but the only way I can do that is if I took the exam in my room with all the time I need :ashamed:

I need help guys
What do you need help with exactly?

i think I'll be okay so long as the questions are not awkwardly worded, and so long as the persons questions arequite straightforward

It irks me a little how much harder that all of the other units persons is, and yet we get no extra credit for doing it
Reply 8
Anyone doing Edexcel?
Pretty sure edexcel doesn't do philosophy :tongue:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
What do you need help with exactly?

i think I'll be okay so long as the questions are not awkwardly worded, and so long as the persons questions arequite straightforward

It irks me a little how much harder that all of the other units persons is, and yet we get no extra credit for doing it

EVERYTHING lol
structure, definitions gahhhh
which exam board ?
Original post by PopeFrancis
which exam board ?

Only just realised that I didn't put it in the original post! AQA; no other exam board does it anyway.

EVERYTHING lol
structure, definitions gahhhh

Yeah but which ones 😄 I can't just reel of a list of every definition.

Structure is simply a matter of making sure that each argument transitions into the next, philosophy isn't really an exam that you can have a set structure for in the same way as you can for history. Although for 15 marks you need to put your illustration and explanation into separate paragraphs, you will ​do better like that.
Philosophy AS Unit 2: I reckon Free Will and Determinism might bring a question on responsibility up, it's a big topic yet hasn't come up in a while...

Although there isn't a fixed structure, it's actually quite easy to just think what points to write and which arguments can relate to the question and adapt to it to give evaluative marks (the most marks).

In A2 Philosophy of Religion there are 6 topics but all the topics are individual and won't mix and match like the other topics you have currently in AS, therefore knowing if you knew how to write 6 essays you'd do absolutely fine.
I hope you're right about moral responsibility! That's probably the easiest part to write a good essay about for FW&D!

Personally cracking it for persons; if Parfit and or psychological/physical continuity comes up I'm fine, but I'm bloody awful at essays about characteristics and necessary and sufficient conditions. Any tips for making a coherent essay for those? Mine always feel a bit fragmentary and dull.
I'm doing edexcel.... How is it going for you?
Reply 16
Anyone doing OCR?
Reply 17
I find religious experience quite confusing, as some of the essay questions just seem quite challenging and hard to answer within a short period of time.With this 15 mark question, ‘All religious experiences have natural explanations,’ I feel as though there are many points that can be the base of the focus however I want to be able to have two points which have been explained properly and provide me with high marks than having loads of points which haven't been explained fully as that would result into receiving marks which would disappoint me. Please can someone provide me with good points to focus on, thank you.
Reply 18
Original post by Verity96
Anyone doing OCR?

yep
Anyone suspect that there is a likely chance that a question linked to conceptual schemes might come up? 4 years since we've had that essay.

I hope the grade boundaries are low... I don't want to end up being 1 mark off an A...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending