The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have the Oceans end of unit test they could send to me please ?? :smile:
Reply 2
Can anyone explain to me why this unit feels so short?!
Original post by Volltorb
Can anyone explain to me why this unit feels so short?!

It's very synoptic. That's probably why
Reply 4
Any chance of someone having a list of all the reactions with conditions we need to learn from memory for the exam?
Reply 5
Original post by RLB96
Any chance of someone having a list of all the reactions with conditions we need to learn from memory for the exam?

For elements of life (na)
For developing fuels you are expected to do the following only: 'describe and design simple experiments to measure the energy transferred when reactions occur in solution or when flammable liquids burn; explain the limitations of such practical procedures'
So reaction conditions are basically. Metal calorimeter with a known volume of water. Drought shields, clamped above a spirit burner which is lit. Stir and take temperature then put out spirit burner after a certain amount of time. Make sure to have weighed the mass of the spirit burner before and after the experiment. Use e =mc delta t to work out energy used using the mass of water (1G = 1CM3), specific heat capacity of water (given to you) change in temperature by measuring temperature before/after of water. Then, if you want kjmol-1 scale up by taking the energy transferred, the mass (known via weighing the spirit burner before and after) and the mr to work out moles (n = m/mr). e.g. 50000 joules of energy transferred via burning 0.24g of ethane (30) . 0.24/30 =8x10-3 moles. 50000 x 8x10-3 = 40 joules. 0.04 kjmol-1

For polymer revolution (which is the main one):

Addition polymerisation of alkenes: 200degrees c 1500 atmospheres trace of o2 catalyst

Hydrogenation of alkenes: nickelcatalyst, 5 atm, 150degrees c (i, for some reason remember it as spikey 5)

Hydration: phosphoric catalyst adsorbed to silica, 300degrees c, 60 atmospheres..

for the electrophilic addition of bromine/ bromine water: room temperature pressure

Hydrogen bromide: rtp strong hbr

which is all i can think of atmmm

Reply 6
This paper will be horrible I reckon
To those saying this unit is short - it pretty much is. Partly because of synopsis and partly because the summer is usually when we'd be doing F336.

How are you all feeling about this one? It's my last ever unit to learn and I've nearly finished it thank god.
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could please list all of the assumptions we need to know for all of the acid/base calculations? Thank-you!
Reply 9
Spleen I did a paper and managed to get a strong C; it was my first F335 past paper and under timed condition.... Hopefully it is going well, hopefully.
Reply 10
What's everyone getting in past papers ?
Reply 11
I haven't done any timed practice papers yet but I intend to, soon D: eek.
Does anybody know what the grade boundaries usually like?
I sure am nervous about this paper. Ick.
Why isn't there any f335 threads active? The bio ones are very active

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
does anyone have the june 2013 marsksheme for f334 and f335? can you please upload it thanks
Reply 14
I have the past paper and mark scheme for June 2013 f335 ... It's on my phone and I don't know how or how long it will take to upload the images
Is anyone good at f335? No modesty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any tips on how to remember all the reactions and conditions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Volltorb
I have the past paper and mark scheme for June 2013 f335 ... It's on my phone and I don't know how or how long it will take to upload the images

could you please upload it as soon as you can thanks! :smile:
Can anyone explain how to do the neutralisation calculations between acids and bases please. E.g Question 4d part (v) on the Jan 2013 F335 paper. I can't find anything re. how to do it in chem ideas or anywhere else.
Reply 19
I'll scan them on Monday at school since my scanner is doge (the June 2013 paper and mark scheme). I also tried uploading from my phone but tsr said my images were to large to upload
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest