The Truth About Feminism

Watch
mozzacolfer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It seems that a few people on this website have been discouraged by the 'feminism' that they've encountered in their lives, and believe that a feminist is a psycho woman who believes that women are the best and should rule the entire world.

This is completely wrong

Firstly, yes, some individual feminists hate men, but they are not feminists dear ones, they are misandrists. The dictionary definition of feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."
equality of the sexes
equality of the sexes

Throughout history, with every oppressed group, from the Irish to Africans to Catholics to Muslims to Jews, hateful propaganda has been spouted by the oppressors to belittle them and turn people against them. When women first started campaigning for the equal status of women, they were regarded as anti-God,anti-family, and man hating, and this label has carried on for generations. The smallest way in which someone is described can make a dramatic impact on the way you interpret them. Take the German propoganda against the Jews, for example. The Germans likened Jewish people to rats and eventually the German people accepted the hate against them. Obviously that is atrocious and there were other factors, but I'm just using it as an example: people are easily swayed.

We live in a society where sexism is almost a part of society. Most men engage in sexism because they've been taught to think and act that way, and women internalize it for the same reason. Take the 'friend-zone". If a guy asks a girl out and she refuses, then it's her fault for turning him down, because he's a nice guy. If a girl gets turned down, it's her fault for not being pretty/girly/alluring enough. That is one of many examples. Black people are more likely to be imprisoned because society has grown up thinking most criminals are black. Gay people find it harder to adopt children because society has grown up believing that being gay means being a paedophile, and they can't give blood because apparently if you're gay you most probably have HIV/AIDS. And women don't earn as much as men, don't reach the same success and aren't treated as fairly and respectfully as men because being a woman means not being as good as a man apparently (obviously I know the world is changing and many people are completely in disagreement with all of these, but it's just to put my point into context). In America not that long ago, a group of men decided on the laws for abortion. I don't care whether you're pro-life or pro-choice, but not having a single woman in there, in a meeting for a law determining what women can and cannot do to their own bodies, really tells you something about society doesn't it? Feminism is about critically looking at the way you behave, whatever gender you are, and think about the impact it has, and to try to make positive changes.

This portion of misandrists spout out ideologies and quotes that can be cherry-picked to put feminism in a bad light. Most of the self titled 'feminists' you may meet may hate men, but the true goal of feminism is for a society in which all genders are equal, an ideology that most feminists believe in and promote, a fundamental belief that all human beings (men,women, trans, cis-gender, non-binary gender) are equal. We don't hate men, I think I can say a large portion of us find men to be very nice in more ways than one. I myself am not part of a feminist movement or organisation, but by believing in gender equality I identify as a feminist. I want to stick up for women's rights just as much as I want to stick up for men's rights, or trans right's or non-binary rights. It doesn't matter whether you're a stay at home mother or an engineer or a teacher or an author or a prostitute or a manager. Whoever you are, whatever profession you want, I want you to have the same rights,opportunities and respect as everyone else.

And that's why I'm a feminst.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Another feminism thread. Oh boy. Prepare for some jimmy rusling.
superduper9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There should be a movement against threads on feminism.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow, what's with all the feminism threads today? I thought the topic was dead.

To OP, I would say this fits under the category of egalitarianism more than anything else. Feminism focuses more on exclusive privileges for women IMO.

P.S. Font enlargement was hilarious :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it was my thread yesterday about the lack of feminism threads, sry guys
"the advocacy of women's rights''

Do you not see, taking into account the rest of the definition, feminism from the get-go has some obvious inclination towards bettering women's rights? Implying that it is about equality of the sexes when it says advocacy of women's rights is a bit absurd.

If it was about equality of the sexes, oxford dictionary should change the definition to ''the advocacy of men and women's rights on the basis of gender equality in society''

Yes I know bettering women's rights to get them to an equal position of men's is not sexism, but can't you see the bias straight off the bat? Most ill educated new feminists will look at the cause as a women's rights movement, and rightfully so..,
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Feminism is about the 'advocacy of women's rights'. Just one reason I no longer take modern feminism seriously:

Posted from TSR Mobile
mozzacolfer
Rep:
?
Well I think, just like civil rights or gay rights, that feminism is a movement that focuses predominantly on women's rights, as they are the minority group after all, but I think I personally would stick up for men when their rights were being abused, although i'm sure any decent person would. You can't just negate a whole half of the definition to make a point.
Yes obviously the women's rights movement is about women, that's the whole point. Why would we strongly fight for men's rights until women and men are equal, when women are far behind? Like majmuh24 said really fighting for equal rights for both could be defined as egalitarianism, which I think is the best way to put it.

I don't think they would be wrong, it literally is a women's rights movement, that's what it says in the name.

I as a person would fight for all rights, as an egalitarian, but the women's rights movement focuses on women's rights and getting them to be equal with men, because at the moment they're not and we need someone to do something about it.

Loving the enlargement of the font there too :congrats:
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It would be great if we could all just stop with this topic already. Nothing productive ever comes out of it.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mozzacolfer)
Well I think, just like civil rights or gay rights, that feminism is a movement that focuses predominantly on women's rights, as they are the minority group after all, but I think I personally would stick up for men when their rights were being abused, although i'm sure any decent person would. You can't just negate a whole half of the definition to make a point.
Yes obviously the women's rights movement is about women, that's the whole point. Why would we strongly fight for men's rights until women and men are equal, when women are far behind? Like majmuh24 said really fighting for equal rights for both could be defined as egalitarianism, which I think is the best way to put it.

I don't think they would be wrong, it literally is a women's rights movement, that's what it says in the name.

I as a person would fight for all rights, as an egalitarian, but the women's rights movement focuses on women's rights and getting them to be equal with men, because at the moment they're not and we need someone to do something about it.

You seem to think women are minorities as much as actual minorities are minorities, they make up roughly 50% of the population and there are many women who hold roles in society that give women a platform to speak... albeit not as much as men but this is because of choices and influences not patriarchy or any other nonsense.

Really? you think the gap is that large? Educate yourself:

5:01

That's a ridiculous view, in the eyes of the law men and women are fairly equal, although in fact women are taken far more seriously when it comes to rape - sexist.
Societal constructs or whatever these nancy sociology students spirt out are not down to big bad men holding a meeting around a table saying ''HOW CAN WE MAKE WOMEN's LIVES EVEN MORE WORSE'' women themselves make choices and then often blame the system. And there you've got to accept that there are biological differences between men and women. There should be equality of opportunity, not a forced equality of outcome.

In summary women are not far behind, in fact they have several advantages in many areas, which is why gender egalitarianism should be pursued right now, not feminism. Sick of women crying about how hard life is and how sexism detrimentally affects them in day to day life, what about the immense peer pressure for males to be masculine? Sorry but we're quite equal as far as I'm concerned (in the Western world, certainly not in countries like Saudi Arabia)

Why thank you :hat2:
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Women are hardly a minority group considering they wield the majority vote in a democracy :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
andrew2209
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What annoys me about feminism is the examples of male behaviour they quote to help their cause are a representation of a minority of males, and not the majority. Also, as a male, if you try and explain why a feminist is wrong, many of them just throw the "you're a male" card at you. While many feminists are trying to advocate equal rights, they also fail to see why people disagree with "feminism".

Don't get me started on more radical feminism, or the "rape culture" argument, that's really frustrating to deal with.
VaticanCameo27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Feminism is literally defined as "advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men." It has been hijacked with the vicious stereotype of a group of women wanted supremacy but this is not true. There is a need for feminism although I agree that we shouldn't have it, because we should ALREADY have full equality. I read a comparison today of feminism to Nazism which just turned my stomach and proved how we are still stuck in an elitist society which promotes the sensitivities of some men rather than the equality of all genders.
mozzacolfer
Rep:
?
I'm sorry but while some of the points made in that video were valid, some of them were just ridiculous. I'm not going to even try to contradict them all because I'm actually dumbfounded that they would be used and considered necessary, and some of them are just plain false, and some aren't even to do with sexism.

Women might not be a minority, but they are the minority when it comes to women and men. What choices and influences is it that you're referring to? You think women don't want equal representation in government? You think women want men to decide what we do with our bodies? If so: Educate yourself.

Yes, in the eyes of the law women and men are fairly equal, but in society they're not, and someone needs to fight for that.
Right, so you're saying women who are brave enough to come forward and try to get a sentence for the person that raped them, it's wrong that that man is given a punishment? I don't really understand your point here

No I think that is utter rubbish sorry, women didn't choose to be the inferior sex, that's like saying a gay person chose to be gay, chose to be constantly thought of as ingerior and be punished for this.

In summary, I think you're right in saying that egalitarianism is the right way to go, but I don't think you can deny an oppressed group the right to stand up for their rights if they are not equal to those of the people around them.

Oh, I'm sorry you have to be masculine. Women have the opposite, we have to be feminine, on top of a bunch of other stuff. I think we'll have to just agree to disagree on this subject.
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sorry but while some of the points made in that video were valid, some of them were just ridiculous. I'm not going to even try to contradict them all because I'm actually dumbfounded that they would be used and considered necessary, and some of them are just plain false, and some aren't even to do with sexism.

Women might not be a minority, but they are the minority when it comes to women and men. What choices and influences is it that you're referring to? You think women don't want equal representation in government? You think women want men to decide what we do with our bodies? If so: Educate yourself.

Yes, in the eyes of the law women and men are fairly equal, but in society they're not, and someone needs to fight for that.
Right, so you're saying women who are brave enough to come forward and try to get a sentence for the person that raped them, it's wrong that that man is given a punishment? I don't really understand your point here

No I think that is utter rubbish sorry, women didn't choose to be the inferior sex, that's like saying a gay person chose to be gay, chose to be constantly thought of as ingerior and be punished for this.

In summary, I think you're right in saying that egalitarianism is the right way to go, but I don't think you can deny an oppressed group the right to stand up for their rights if they are not equal to those of the people around them.

Oh, I'm sorry you have to be masculine. Women have the opposite, we have to be feminine, on top of a bunch of other stuff. I think we'll have to just agree to disagree on this subject.
Women have more votes than men. They literally chose to be the minority in government.

Just to say in the US the women decide the president. Obama lost the men's vote but won the women's vote. Bush won both both times. Clinton lost the men's vote but won the women's vote. They have decided the president in the most powerful county in the world for the last 20 years at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
VaticanCameo27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
Women have more votes than men. They literally chose to be the minority in government.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it very hard to suppress my rage at this comment, no-one would "chose to be the minority". Women voting does not automatically put women into government and the cabinet.
LightBlueSoldier
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VaticanCameo27)
I find it very hard to suppress my rage at this comment, no-one would "chose to be the minority". Women voting does not automatically put women into government and the cabinet.
They chose to be the numerical minority. That's how democracy works. Also see my comments about the American presidential election above. Women carry the vote there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mozzacolfer
Rep:
?
(Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
They chose to be the numerical minority. That's how democracy works. Also see my comments about the American presidential election above. Women carry the vote there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reading up on it, it seems only in two instances have Presidents won the women's vote and lost the men's vote, so, if we're putting genders into generalised brackets here, mostly it's a joint decision. Also I would like to point out that in parliament, only about 20% of MP's in the UK are female which in terms of politics makes them the numerical minority
Also maybe Obama won women's votes and became Presifent because of his pro-women's rights stance, what a nice guy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.27%
I'm not sure (59)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (626)
48.83%

Watched Threads