The Student Room Group

Do you tip the delivery driver? If so, how much? If not, why not?

How much?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[video="youtube;Z-qV9wVGb38"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38[/video]
Original post by thenewone61
I was just wondering whether or not people tip anymore. We occasionally order from a local Indian restaurant and one of the delivery drivers is over 65. My Dad always tips him 10-15%. I've never understood why but my Dad doesn't think it's much and would at least benefit the guy further for his work. He's always immensely grateful for the tip. He hobbles a bit and drives a car to deliver the food. When I went to the US on holiday with my cousin, I didn't tip on the first day and were given an attitude by the waitress... We didn't realise why until we left lol. The mentality of waiters over there is crazy. They get pissed if you don't tip, as though by not pampering them for doing their job with your hard earned money you're doing something wrong! Do you tip? I think it's a bit pointless. The delivery is free and he is being paid for his work... If you do, how much?

I always tip. Don't see why anyone wouldn't.

In certain parts of the US not tipping is regarded as sacrilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No i dont. I aready pay for the delivery charge and now you want me to tip them. You must be living in a dream world. I would only tip a delivery woman if she is hawttttt.:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tip the Domino's delivery person £2. I figure they are earning their wage, but if every delivery earned an extra £2 it would all add up nicely!

It's never crossed my mind to tip the likes of the Tesco delivery person, but I pay for delivery from them so it's not a service I feel I should pay extra for.. I tip newspaper delivery people at Christmas, and occasionally the postman.
Reply 5
I tip deliver drivers 10-20%, depending on how the change works out.
Reply 6
In the US there is a different culture regarding tipping. Waiters are paid ridiculously low wages and the majority of their earnings come from tips. The minimum wage for a waiter in the US, who will be expected to gain most of their earnings from tips, is $2.13 an hour. Unless you get very poor service you should always tip in the US (and the service there tends to be very good because they know it needs to be for them to make a living). I generally wouldn't tip a delivery driver in the UK, although I have occasionally.
Reply 7
I always tip people who bring my takeaways or in a restaurant. As I think if I were in their position I would be thankful etc. I only tip a pound or two..but it's better than nothing
Reply 8
I never tip. Frankly it's not my job to be paying anyone else's "wages" and the more we accept tipping in our culture the less reason employers have to pay their employees a reasonable wage.

I'm staunchly against the practice.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
No i dont. I aready pay for the delivery charge and now you want me to tip them. You must be living in a dream world. I would only tip a delivery woman if she is hawttttt.:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that is ****ing stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the culture of North Americans. Don't think I've ever tipped or been with anyone who has tipped a waiter/delivery person.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Well that is ****ing stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was only joking. But i never tip

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Tipping etiquette.jpg

You can disagree with me if you like, but these types of infographic reek of entitlement.
Reply 13
I don't tip. It's their job to deliver stuff, and if the employer isn't paying them enough then it's not my responsibility to give them the rest.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I tip the Domino's delivery person £2. I figure they are earning their wage, but if every delivery earned an extra £2 it would all add up nicely!

It's never crossed my mind to tip the likes of the Tesco delivery person, but I pay for delivery from them so it's not a service I feel I should pay extra for.. I tip newspaper delivery people at Christmas, and occasionally the postman.

How do you tip the postman? Do you wait for him at a window and then run to the door?
Tip a pound for every takeaway delivery. The smile on the delivery drivers earning an extra quid. If they get 50 deliveries and each of them give a tip they can earn double money, considering to do it as a part time job.
Reply 16
I don't tip.

Tbh I find it really demeaning, borderline disrespectful to give a guy £1 for delivering a pizza.
Original post by Me123456789
How do you tip the postman? Do you wait for him at a window and then run to the door?

The postman and I are rather good friends - because I work from home, he knows I'm always in when he comes in the morning, so will knock if there are any packages for the neighbours. Any day during the festive period comes with a guarantee for packages due to the sheer number of them.
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Posted from TSR Mobile

if she was hot i would give her more than a tip, if ya nawha i mean
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

a few points;

you pay for delivery from dominos anyway, hence collection is cheaper

unlike tesco it's a hidden charge

and the tesco delivery charge is actually a loss leader, you're paying far far less than it costs them , not just delivery but the fact they have to pick out all the items, it actually costs them £10-15 in labour to get it to you

if anything, you should tip the tesco person because their job is more involving ...

Quick Reply

Latest