The Student Room Group

%5 chance of achieving the required grade, should I still firm it?

Hey guys,

I am dying to start my undergraduate degree in law this september in Manchester, however the grades that they asked from me are almost impossible to achieve as no one in my course has ever achieved such grades. It is only a %5 chance that I can fulfill the conditions required. Do you think I should still go for it, as Manchester is where I want to be? Is there any chance that if I firm it and don't get the grades required, would they change their conditions? :/ I have to decide until 7th of May and don't know what to do. :s-smilie:

By the way, my insurance choice will either be City or Southampton. (Or firm if I don't put Manchester as my firm choice.)

I would very much appreciate some help. Thanks in advance!:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
How do you know you have a 5% chance?
Original post by chelseafan

%5 is the percentage that my course administrator gave me. (%5-%10 he told) :redface:
If youre confident of reaching your insurance grades then you might as well take the punt if manchester is where you really want to go! what is the offer and what do you think you can get?
Original post by chelseafan

That's exactly what I am wondering, I am puzzled at what calculation they used to get 5%
(edited 9 years ago)
If you would be happy to go to your insurance choice and you're confident you'll meet your insurance offer then definitely put Manchester as your firm.
Reply 6
Original post by x__justmyluck
If you would be happy to go to your insurance choice and you're confident you'll meet your insurance offer then definitely put Manchester as your firm.
Work your guts off and you can do it, but if you're not prepared to, go for City/Southampton. My cousin did her Masters in Law at City and she's a barrister now- she seemed pretty happy with it :smile:
Original post by x__justmyluck

Thank you so much for the answer. I am %100 sure I will meet City's conditions and not so sure about Southampton but nothing that can't be done. :smile:
Original post by Mithi11
Work your guts off and you can do it, but if you're not prepared to, go for City/Southampton. My cousin did her Masters in Law at City and she's a barrister now- she seemed pretty happy with it :smile:

Thanks for the answer. :smile:

Well if she made it into being a barrister, is the uni well recognised by lawyers then? For example, if I choose City over Southampton as insurance, do you think it will make a difference in terms of recruitment after graduation and while applying to LLM in the US in terms of prestige? Sorry for bothering with so many questions!
Law is one of the most competitive courses to get onto - especially somewhere like Manchester. They will not need to be 'kind' to you in order to fill the course. There will be plenty of other people out there who got the required grades, and above, to be recruited via Adjustment etc. Therefore if you are not 100% confident of getting the required grades, forget Manchester.

You have two choices - Firm Southampton (a perfectly good Uni - you'll have a great time, and wonder why you wanted to go to Manchester anyway) OR drop your application for this year, do some calm thinking about why you want to study Law, wait for your results, do retakes if necessary and reapply next year to Manchester for 2015 entry.

Guide to Firm/Insurance choices -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/firm_and_insurance_choices
Guide to Results Day - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/guide_to_a_level_results_day
Work harder to get your firm grades?
But wow, a Law degree, original. Useless degree nowadays, over-saturated market, but good luck.
PS - worth watching this re. Southampton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-3MTOE2i0

Quick Reply

Latest