The Student Room Group

Pupillage with one bad mark?

A couple of days ago I received the result for my Company Law II coursework and it is absolutely shocking at 48%. The highest I can bring the module up to is 64% even if I get 100% in the exam for that module. I think realistically I will end up with 55-60%.

Assuming that I am unable to get it changed through the appeal process, how fatal is this to a pupillage application? I'm looking at commercial/chancery sets and have done minis at all of the main ones. My other results are extremely good and I had the top First in every module prior to this, and will still graduate with a First.

I have a difficult decision as was planning to do a Masters at UCL but if there is no chance of a job at the end of it I would rather just save my money and forget about law.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Consistency is obviously something firms/ chambers look for. I don't think it's that huge of an issue, given the context of your overall transcript. Someone else on here (who now has a TC with an SC firm) had a module mark range of 63-77, with one outlier at 40 (I'm assuming it was a resit). Seemingly, it's not a huge deal, and given you have a notable track record of work experience, I'm sure it won't be a point of enormous contention. You might get questioned on it at interview, though.
Reply 2
I'd ask this on rof, there's a few commercial bazzas on there and with your previous career, degree etc. they can probbably give you a better idea.

Natch you'll get a load of abuse from City solicitors about how **** law is, but nature of the beast and all that.
Reply 3
Original post by SevenAteNine

Mini's are good, how are your other extra curricular?
Have you considered time out to earn money/work out what you REALLY want
Masters and their effect on pupillage chances vary (see: other threads)

Legal ECs other than mini's - just a bit of mooting, won several lost a couple. Non-legal ECs like sports and what-not, extremely good (represented England/UK at a couple of things) but likely irrelevant.

Money not the main concern as am a mature student, but I don't want to waste it in the sense of throwing it away. I'm currently working while studying so leaving my job to do the BPTC/Masters will 'cost' me my salary as well as costing me the fees.

Wanted to do a Masters because I'm interested in law, particularly restitution and trusts. Also keeps options open for an academic career while certainly not hurting pupillage chances (even if the conventional wisdom that only the BCL and Cam *add* anything). But a dodgy mark might have the same effect on PhD applications as on pupillage applications and so worried it will close off both routes. Anyway if I do carry on with Law, I will definitely do the Masters.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending