This discussion is closed.
roxy potter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey what do you all think of the irish ban of smoking in the work place?

its great to be able to breathe when you go into a pub and not come home with your hair and clothes reeking of cigarettes.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The sooner they ban smoking in public/work places in Manchester the better. Hurry up and do it!
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)

its great to be able to breathe when you go into a pub and not come home with your hair and clothes reeking of cigarettes.
It is my opinion smoking should be completely banned in ALL public places.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
last week on the news they had all these people going on and on about how it was their right to smoke and every single one of them had really wrinkly skin. if people want to give themselves cancer fine but that doesnt mean they should inflict it on the rest of us. im delighted with how the ban is working so far.
Mr Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Yet again the Irish are setting precedents for the rest of the Western world, others include - general friendliness.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
im glad you think so i hate the way some people have preconcieved notions of a pile of drunks who are always in the pub.
Josh75077
Report 15 years ago
Smoking should be banned period!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
It is my opinion smoking should be completely banned in ALL public places.
I AGREE
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Josh75077)
Smoking should be banned period!
I would agree with that were it not for the £9 Billion in revenue generated for the country.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wow it seems everybody agrees! I think smoking is just pointless it benefits nobody not even the smokers as they are "killing themselves harshly with his fag." ok bad joke.
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

i think...

smoking should be banned out in the open and in public places like railway stations, airports etc

BUT

for places like pubs, clubs, restaurants it should be at the owners discretion.

i quite like the smoky atmosphere of the pub. the combination of stale smoke and alcohol in the air is quite nice.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I would agree with that were it not for the £9 Billion in revenue generated for the country.
But think about how billions the NHS would save. I do agree though that a ban would be an econmic disaster, I think public smoking should be banned though without a doubt but just let them smoke their cancer stikes in their own homes.
roxy potter
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Wow it seems everybody agrees! I think smoking is just pointless it benefits nobody not even the smokers as they are "killing themselves harshly with his fag." ok bad joke.
bad joke but you're right
Tribi18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I think its a great idea as i don't smoke and it benifits everyone!
Mr Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
i think...

smoking should be banned out in the open and in public places like railway stations, airports etc

BUT

for places like pubs, clubs, restaurants it should be at the owners discretion.

i quite like the smoky atmosphere of the pub. the combination of stale smoke and alcohol in the air is quite nice.
a smoker are you?
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Woodsy)
a smoker are you?
nope.
Josh75077
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Wont the savings in medicals bills offset the revenue generated. Is death and serious illness really a suitable way to generate money. Although not that governments care, they are only in it for, fame, money, power, status for the most part.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Josh75077)
Wont the savings in medicals bills offset the revenue generated. Is death and serious illness really a suitable way to generate money. Although not that governments care, they are only in it for, fame, money, power, status for the most part.
Thats what I always thought but I had to research it as part of my course and it is estimated smoking costs the country £2 Billion per year therefore a net loss of £7 Billion would occur if it was banned completely.
Josh75077
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Thats what I always thought but I had to research it as part of my course and it is estimated smoking costs the country £2 Billion per year therefore a net loss of £7 Billion would occur if it was banned completely.

OK, but is that still a good reason to smoke??
Tribi18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Smoking will NEVER be banned *well in our lifetime* because of the amount of taxes cigs are bringing into the governments funds.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (53)
17.67%
Labour (148)
49.33%
Liberal Democrats (44)
14.67%
Green Party (20)
6.67%
Brexit Party (4)
1.33%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1%
SNP (6)
2%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.67%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.33%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)