Need help with my CV (grammar & spelling mistakes)

Watch
daryZ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Howdy, TSR!

Last week I created my first CV and I need a little help. English is my second language so I am afraid that I made some grammar mistakes which I can't really spot.

Would be awesome if there is any native english speaker who could help me!

I attached my CV as a PDF document. Some details are changed for privacy purposes.

Thank you!!
Attached files
ncma23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't refer to yourself in third person eg "John is" should be "I am"...

"During the last few years John developed a wide range of skills and gained a revelant experience"...

Should be:

"During the last few years, I have a developed a wide range of skills and relevant experience"
ncma23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"I am a creative student looking for flexible part-time work in IT & design industry. During the last few years, I have developed a wide range of skills and gained relevant experience. My journey to graphic design and web development started a long time ago. I was always very curious and this helped me to achieve the best."

"In addition to the things mentioned above, I have a personal life as well. Photography, cycling, fitness and reading are the main things that I do in my spare time. I love self-education because I think that there is no better teacher than yourself. One of my favourite parts in work is problem solving as it leads to the unlimited world of learning. If you would like to know more please feel free to get in touch. "

Fixed them as above, but it might be more impactful if you use the personal statement to describe what you have actually done e.g. instead of " a wide range of skills and gained relevant experience", say which skills you have and the experiences that are most relevant.

Hope this helps some.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by daryZ)
Go find the CV Help forum - you need a lot of help with that CV!
r_u_jelly
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hope , that you are under 14
P-K
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry but the opening and closing paragraphs are terrible and John needs to ditch these.
daryZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by ncma23)
"I am a creative student looking for flexible part-time work in IT & design industry. During the last few years, I have developed a wide range of skills and gained relevant experience. My journey to graphic design and web development started a long time ago. I was always very curious and this helped me to achieve the best."

"In addition to the things mentioned above, I have a personal life as well. Photography, cycling, fitness and reading are the main things that I do in my spare time. I love self-education because I think that there is no better teacher than yourself. One of my favourite parts in work is problem solving as it leads to the unlimited world of learning. If you would like to know more please feel free to get in touch. "

Fixed them as above, but it might be more impactful if you use the personal statement to describe what you have actually done e.g. instead of " a wide range of skills and gained relevant experience", say which skills you have and the experiences that are most relevant.

Hope this helps some.
Thank you! This is really helpful.
daryZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by P-K)
Sorry but the opening and closing paragraphs are terrible and John needs to ditch these.
(Original post by r_u_jelly)
I hope , that you are under 14
Go way *****es. I asked for help, not to laugh of me. I would love to see how you did your first CV. Especially in some foreign language. Oh wait, I forgot that you never made any mistakes in your life.
daryZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by ncma23)
Don't refer to yourself in third person eg "John is" should be "I am"...

"During the last few years John developed a wide range of skills and gained a revelant experience"...

Should be:

"During the last few years, I have a developed a wide range of skills and relevant experience"
Thank you! I actually thought about it but I just thought that referring myself in third person will look 'more creative'.

Cheers.
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by daryZ)
x
Have a look at this Hope it helps!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by daryZ)
Go way ...........................
You need to go to to the CV Help forum and start a thread. Your CV is quite wrong, but so is the advice you are getting in here.
daryZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You need to go to to the CV Help forum and start a thread. Your CV is quite wrong, but so is the advice you are getting in here.
So please tell me what is wrong with that CV?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads