eliot95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm retaking both AS and A2 exams and I have been trying to study for it but nothings going in. There is too much to remember and I'm really struggling. How did everyone else revise for this? How should I revise for it? I cant do posters or revision cards (I tried but I ended up with 20 posters for the first 15 pages, I couldn't keep on going). I'm aiming for a B in the subject, I got A's in the coursework but most unis demand a B. Please help me someone.
AmanB95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by eliot95)
So I'm retaking both AS and A2 exams and I have been trying to study for it but nothings going in. There is too much to remember and I'm really struggling. How did everyone else revise for this? How should I revise for it? I cant do posters or revision cards (I tried but I ended up with 20 posters for the first 15 pages, I couldn't keep on going). I'm aiming for a B in the subject, I got A's in the coursework but most unis demand a B. Please help me someone.
Hi. I'm in exactly the same position as you! Last year the AS exam was quite dodgy. I ended up with an A in the coursework but an E in the exam. I just sit with my Edexcel book and read through page by page till I crash out. When are your exam dates?
AlphaDog0127
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in the same situation, I've got the AS/A2 AQA Product Design book but can't for the life of me understand a thing it goes on about, anyone know of anything better?
eliot95
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmanB95)
Hi. I'm in exactly the same position as you! Last year the AS exam was quite dodgy. I ended up with an A in the coursework but an E in the exam. I just sit with my Edexcel book and read through page by page till I crash out. When are your exam dates?
I did the same, got an A on coursework and a D in the exam. My exams on the 15th of may for the AS one and the 8th of June for the A2. they are really close now and I have actually been making steady progress! After searching for revision material, I did find some for the AS exam for AQA which has really helped me. I have just been doing revision posters on it and now my walls completely covered. I wouldn't recommend just reading through the text book, They have too much information and its difficult to summarize it all. My teacher told me that revision posters are the way to go due to the vague spec, unlike other subjects, for my physics exams you could even learn from the spec!

Heres the link to the revision guide ive been using http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/a...product_design I don't know whether it would help as much due to different exam boards, though i don't see how different it could be.

AlphaDog0127 This will really help you. Go through this and you should be fine, though I think some 'outside-the-box' thinking in required for the last questions! and keep on doing past papers!
AmanB95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did the same, got an A on coursework and a D in the exam. My exams on the 15th of may for the AS one and the 8th of June for the A2. they are really close now and I have actually been making steady progress! After searching for revision material, I did find some for the AS exam for AQA which has really helped me. I have just been doing revision posters on it and now my walls completely covered. I wouldn't recommend just reading through the text book, They have too much information and its difficult to summarize it all. My teacher told me that revision posters are the way to go due to the vague spec, unlike other subjects, for my physics exams you could even learn from the spec!

Heres the link to the revision guide ive been using http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/a...product_design I don't know whether it would help as much due to different exam boards, though i don't see how different it could be.

AlphaDog0127 This will really help you. Go through this and you should be fine, though I think some 'outside-the-box' thinking in required for the last questions! and keep on doing past papers!
Thank you so much! I'm gonna start using these posters rather than books from now on. Appreciate you giving that link as well. Best of luck in both exams!
AlphaDog0127
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Great link!!! Thank you so much
Archengsculp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AlphaDog0127)
Great link!!! Thank you so much
isn't the AS on 14th May?
Archengsculp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

aaaand lol I just realised that I'd submitted that "revision guide" haha
AlphaDog0127
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Archengsculp)
isn't the AS on 14th May?
Yes the 14th of May for the AS and the 3rd of June for the A2
Pedro4ize
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
would someone be able to send me the downloaded version of the revision notes as I'm not a subscriber of getrevising.co.uk and is it free if i subscribed??

*URGENT*

Thanks
eliot95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pedro4ize)
would someone be able to send me the downloaded version of the revision notes as I'm not a subscriber of getrevising.co.uk and is it free if i subscribed??

*URGENT*

Thanks
Its in rich text format, but microsoft word 2010 should open it with no problems.
Attached files
Pedro4ize
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its in rich text format, but microsoft word 2010 should open it with no problems.
thankyou so much
Pedro4ize
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry but do you have it on pdf please
eliot95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pedro4ize)
Sorry but do you have it on pdf please
I did try to upload it as a PDF but its over the limit for me to actually upload it. Try using this site http://www.zamzar.com/convert/rtf-to-pdf/ to change it to a pdf file.
jon1407
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone!
Im taking the AS PROD1 exam on Wednesday, and was wondering if anyone has any guesses what will come up?
Im thinking defiantly some Hardwood/Softwood analysis as that hasn't come up in a while ... any other guesses??
Thanks!
eliot95
Rep:
?
(Original post by jon1407)
Hi everyone!
Im taking the AS PROD1 exam on Wednesday, and was wondering if anyone has any guesses what will come up?
Im thinking defiantly some Hardwood/Softwood analysis as that hasn't come up in a while ... any other guesses??
Thanks!
Hi, I think you should study everything on the spec, because you never know what they might do. But if I was you, I would look at glass a little more, that's never appeared in a past paper as far as I'm aware. I agree with the hard/soft wood analysis, and I'm a little worried that I would have studied plastics to much and it wouldn't appear!

I'm more worried about section C of the exam, the larger part. I'm fine with section A, as I get at least 15/20 for those questions. For section B, I get a little less, just over half marks, but section C is really weird and when it asks to 'critically analyse' stuff I really get confused. Its all about thinking outside the box.

I really hate this subject, I really wish I chose further maths instead of this In maths, I get A/A* and I haven't put half the effort into maths then I have for this. And I want to do maths in uni, so that would have been a big help. I just find it unfair that we have to choose what we want to do at such a young age.

Anyway, Are you in year 12? What are you aiming for? Hows the coursework and studying so far?
jon1407
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Great, thanks for the Glass tip, I completely missed that! I have covered pretty much everything on the spec, but now Im trying to focus on whats most likely to come up, as there is just so much to learn, Im hoping Plastics don't come up too much - as I can never remember which plastic has which property! Im pretty sure if there is a plastic modelling question it would be on blow moulding, as that hasn't come up for a while, and injection and rotational have both come up recently, so I'm empathising my revision around this.

I see what you mean about the analyse questions, they can be really tricky, Im just hoping it will be something I can relate to, because when I can, I tend to do better, especially when it is a product I would actually use - thats how you have to answer these questions I think, analyse by what you would change yourself.

Im in year 12, I have managed to get a low A on the coursework at the moment, but that is subject to change, as its being checked over. I am aiming for an A overall, but depending on how hard the exam is I would be happy with a B. If I get any lower than a B I will be dropping DT next year.
eliot95
Rep:
?
Blow moulding came up in the June 2011 exam, on the last question. Also, don't forget additives, I don't think I've ever seen that appear as well! about your plastics problem, it can be tricky knowing which one is which. but there is always a good trick on remembering.

Does it hold food? polypropylene. does it hold food but is vacuum formed? High Impact Polystyrene. Does it come into conact with non food liquids,solids (detergent, contact adhesive)? HDPE.
Is it anything to do with safety (machine guards, goggles?) poly-carbonate.

You can carry on like that, but that's how I remember it. Also here's another easy couple of marks.

Question 7a might be "explain why polypropylene is good for a child's high chair" and 7b might say the "chair is rotationally moulded, explain the process". t is perfectly acceptable to put an 7a that the plastic is rotationally moulded and this is how the child's chair has been made, then work backwards from the product. its a high chair, what does that mean? it means that the chair is good for food, it wont contaminate the child's food and it will be safe for consumption. A child sits on it right? then he might be kicking and screaming and hitting the chair, not to mention he has to sit in it. This means the plastic is impact resistant, so it can withstand sudden blows from cutlery used by the child and resist wear and tear from being moved around. You could also say that the chair is light, because it will need to be moved around by the parents of the child for storage. ALSO, remember to say that the flash will be removed at the end of any process i.e. rotation moulding.

Working backwards on questions like these are perfect, because it means you don't have to remember much about the plastic. remember that these sort of questions are for 6 marks, 3 points times by 2 marks per point. Just look through the mark scheme and look for stuff that's there every year.

Its relatively easy to get an A in the coursework, I managed that too! I hope you do get the A you're aiming for! I'm aiming for a B, I need a B to get into the uni I've applied for, which is worrying I'm in year 13 and I've done the coursework completely and the exam once already, and my advice is, drop this subject. the coursework is practically the same, maybe a little more demanding, but then you have essay styled questions, which require you to know a lot more stuff for the exam, including designers names and what they've made. you have 2 hours to write three essays. its horrible, I hate it, blah blah blah. If you get an A and you think you can carry on, then by all means go for it. I think it doesn't help that I do maths and physics, so I don't get any practice on essays at all.

What other subjects are you doing? What are you aiming for in them?
jon1407
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the tip! I will give it a try, as I'm failing to memorise plastics!

Sorry If this is a dumb question but what is the flash? I don't think I've learnt that part of molding?

Yes, the coursework was quite easy, you just had to keep up with the documentation of everything you have done throughout the process.

Im Taking DT, Maths, Economics and Computing and am hoping for two A's (for economics and DT - if the exams are good to me) and two B's for maths and computing. I was planning on carrying on all four subjects into next year - but if there was one I had to drop it would be DT, as I enjoy the making process ... but everything else is just too stretched out! Im not very good at essay writing so will defiantly need to reconsider!

What are you hoping to do at Uni?
Rowntrees
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
how much actual revision have you guys done? im struggling to learn all the plastics like many of you have already said..

one other quick question, of the AS/A2 book which chapters are AS and which are A2?? It isnt really clear.

Thanks guys..

and thanks for the tip to revise glass, and the aditives..

good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (192)
14.28%
I'm not sure (59)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (664)
49.37%

Watched Threads