mollyx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can someone please explain to me what Albedo is??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's how much light something reflects... you could have googled tbh.
mollyx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
it's how much light something reflects... you could have googled tbh.
It was too complicated on google. I need to apply it to the arctic region

Posted from TSR Mobile
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mollyx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
the albedo effect is when ice reflects the sun's heat which can cause it to become cooler there as less of the suns energy is reaching the surface, i think i used it for an explanation of why ice caps form
Cmichaels928
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah that is pretty much what it is, but for the sake of the exam and picky examiners, its best to get some key vocab in there. (annoying I know but it gets the marks)

so, I would say that albedo is the measure of how much short wave incoming solar radiation is reflected back into space, depending on the colour of the surface, type of surface and the angle of incidence. A surface which is flat and shiny where the sun is directly overhead, the amount of insolation is most concentrated so a lot of radiation reaches the earths surface. However, the shiny surface, such as deep thick freshly laid snow, will reflect around 80-90% of this insolation back to space, therefore giving it a high albedo rate.

hope this helps
GreenHippie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need to know that ice has a light colour and therefore high albedo. That reflects a lot of sunlight back into the space. As climate change reduces ice cover over land and sea, the darker rock and water exposed has a lower albedo and absorbs more heat. This means warming quickens, melting more ice and so on.
TheStudent18
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mollyx)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I know it has already been answered, but I will still contribute!

Albedo is the reflectivity of a surface. For example, the albedo of an ice cap is greater than the albedo of a tarmac road. This is because the surface of the ice cap reflects the sunlight and its energy (insolation), whereas the tarmac road absorbs much of this energy. In addition, the tarmac road has a higher specific heat capacity opposed to the ice cap.

In stages known as 'Greenhouse Earth', whereby higher global temperatures are experienced, there is little ice cap cover. Therefore, the albedo of the Earth as a whole is reduced therefore leading to an increase in the temperature due to less sunlight and therefore energy being reflected back into space. On the other hand, 'Icehouse Earth' periods are characterised by extensive ice cover and lower global temperatures. Therefore, with the increased ice cover the albedo value for the Earth as a whole is increased meaning that more incoming sunlight (insolation) is reflected back into space furthering the global cooling experienced.

Sorry it's a bit of a late reply, but I tried to give you some examples as you said you were struggling to understand the information that came up when you searched it on the internet!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (282)
60.78%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.74%