St. Andrews vs University of Bath vs Edinburgh

Watch this thread
uni_confused
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have an offer from St Andrews, Bath and Edinburgh for Management and French but don't know which uni to firm! Does anyone have any advice at all I could use to compare them?
Based on uni league tables it's really between St Andrews and Bath but I just don't know what to choose. For the course Bath is best, but the Scottish structure is more flexible. Slightly worried about lack of nightlife in St Andrews though. Information on night life in Bath very welcome.

Pleeeaase help, I need to decide within the next few days. Thanks.
rumbles_ubamba
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Saint Andrews
nml181
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by uni_confused)
I have an offer from St Andrews, Bath and Edinburgh for Management and French but don't know which uni to firm! Does anyone have any advice at all I could use to compare them?
Based on uni league tables it's really between St Andrews and Bath but I just don't know what to choose. For the course Bath is best, but the Scottish structure is more flexible. Slightly worried about lack of nightlife in St Andrews though. Information on night life in Bath very welcome.

I vote for St. Andrews. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNaMXslLySc&app=desktop
oldlady
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Have you looked at this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2154291
Mixed views about quality of nightlife in Bath. Maybe Edinburgh offers more the balance you're looking for - prestigious university, flexible Scottish degree structure and big city environment. Don't know about course content though.
scott18044
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I had offers for languages at St. Andrews and Bath. Preferred the look of the course (so much more flexible) and uni at St. Andrews, so I went with there. Have you been to visit St. Andrews? I had the same concerns about it being a small town, but was completely put at ease after going to see it on the visiting day.

Can't speak about Edinburgh :/ Sorry
ElizabethRG
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Be wary of admissions videos, from any school. They only show the positive side. And every university has negatives. There's no substitute for going to visit yourself and talking to some current students (and don't just ask what they do like; ask what they don't! Because you might find out something you didn't know about before making your decision). Getting a variety of opinions and seeing it for yourself is key. Also, when they were talking about McIntosh, they were showing either DRA or ABH, so… not entirely accurate
uni_confused
Rep:
(Original post by rumbles_ubamba)
Saint Andrews
Haha is there any particular reason why?
uni_confused
Rep:
(Original post by nml181)
I vote for St. Andrews. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNaMXslLySc&app=desktop
That's really helpful thank you, I hadn't seen that! Do you go to St Andrews?
uni_confused
Rep:
(Original post by oldlady)
Have you looked at this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2154291
Mixed views about quality of nightlife in Bath. Maybe Edinburgh offers more the balance you're looking for - prestigious university, flexible Scottish degree structure and big city environment. Don't know about course content though.
Oh thanks, that's relieved me a bit about Bath nightlife! I think Edinburgh is pretty close to perfect, I just would kind of like to know what combination of modules I could do and I can't work out the website haha! Are you looking at unis now too?
uni_confused
Rep:
(Original post by scott18044)
I had offers for languages at St. Andrews and Bath. Preferred the look of the course (so much more flexible) and uni at St. Andrews, so I went with there. Have you been to visit St. Andrews? I had the same concerns about it being a small town, but was completely put at ease after going to see it on the visiting day.

Can't speak about Edinburgh :/ Sorry
Yeah the flexibility of the Scottish structure is a BIG plus for me, because I'm not quite sure about the course I've chosen :/ Yes I have but because of train delays I was only there for about two hours so hardly saw any of it are you starting this September?
uni_confused
Rep:
(Original post by ElizabethRG)
Be wary of admissions videos, from any school. They only show the positive side. And every university has negatives. There's no substitute for going to visit yourself and talking to some current students (and don't just ask what they do like; ask what they don't! Because you might find out something you didn't know about before making your decision). Getting a variety of opinions and seeing it for yourself is key. Also, when they were talking about McIntosh, they were showing either DRA or ABH, so… not entirely accurate
Yeah this is what I thought, they all seem to say pretty much the same thing hahah! So do you go there?
UPSDGoat
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
EDINBURGH!!!!
Edinburgh is just a much greater experience than St.Andrews
RibenaRockstar
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I would choose Edinburgh of those three probably (I go to Bath) because the Scottish structure is very attractive.
scott18044
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yeah the flexibility of the Scottish structure is a BIG plus for me, because I'm not quite sure about the course I've chosen :/ Yes I have but because of train delays I was only there for about two hours so hardly saw any of it are you starting this September?
Yeah, grades permitting, I'll be up there in September
ElizabethRG
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yeah this is what I thought, they all seem to say pretty much the same thing hahah! So do you go there?
To St Andrews? Yep, and hate it to bits It does have its good points though, and the things I hate about it a lot of people seem to like, so…. take that as you will.
olddad
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well son is at St Andrews haviing previously been in big city Nottingham. He loves it there and would probably stay forever if he could!
oldlady
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Oh thanks, that's relieved me a bit about Bath nightlife! I think Edinburgh is pretty close to perfect, I just would kind of like to know what combination of modules I could do and I can't work out the website haha! Are you looking at unis now too?
Noooo, the clue's in the name. I'm a parent, two sons at St Andrews currently, both very different tastes and social groups but both love it.
username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ElizabethRG)
To St Andrews? Yep, and hate it to bits It does have its good points though, and the things I hate about it a lot of people seem to like, so…. take that as you will.
Question: if you hate it here so much why not just leave and start again?
ElizabethRG
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Calllu-m)
Question: if you hate it here so much why not just leave and start again?
Been over that on here already.
ukmed108
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Never use league tables to decide anything, honestly. Their rankings don't make sense and don't match what people legitimately think. I would say go to Edinburgh as there is more to do and Edinburgh is an international name.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (61)
65.59%
No (25)
26.88%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.53%

Watched Threads