username1389289
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm coming to the end of my AS year and am trying to decide what to drop. I currently take biology, chemistry, maths, English lit and the cambridge pre-u gpr. I'm planning to apply for medicine next year so know I need to carry on with bio and chem but wondered what people think I should drop out of maths and English. I want to keep pre-u because it gives me the chance to write a 5000 word dissociation on medical ethics next year which I can talk about at interview. Any ideas?
Razer_M
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you are applying to Cambridge you need to take 3 sciences so you'll have to drop English. But if not choose whichever one you enjoy more and are more likely to get an A/A* in at A2 to meet your offer(s)
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If Cambridge you want 3 sciences. If UCL you want a 'contrasting subject' - English Lit is the first example on their site.

Otherwise, whichever one you are more likely to get a good grade in.
Sena5
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For alevel 3 subjects are enough. You are just wasting energy. Do bio, chem and pre
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Drop English
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't drop - do all 4
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DoctorInTraining)
Don't drop - do all 4
4 A2s plus a pre-U? Bit of a high demand there.
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
4 A2s plus a pre-U? Bit of a high demand there.
Not really - I did 5 A levels with one being an entire A2 during year 13 at night school to smash my application.

You want this career - be prepared to work your socks off.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DoctorInTraining)
Not really - I did 5 A levels with one being an entire A2 during year 13 at night school to smash my application.

You want this career - be prepared to work your socks off.
That's very good for you, but increasing your workload without benefit to your application isn't something most students are willing to do. And if they don't need to, I don't see why they should bother! Yes, medicine is hard work. But there's no reason this level of hard work has to start at sixth form. I would have been utterly miserable studying 5 A2s and likely compromised my results if I did something like that. No reason to do more work than necessary other than interest.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths isn't hard at A2 at all, so easy grade there. So I wouldn't drop that.
rishirabs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely English, the medics at my school have been told to do maths chem and bio up to A2 and any other subject up to AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.9%
No (507)
66.1%

Watched Threads