This discussion is closed.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
How do you know when you've had one/are about to have one?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
How do you know when you've had one/are about to have one?
I am not sure but I think I may had one in 1997, I just didn't do anything for about 6 months, I didn't want to go out or anything, all I did all day is watch TV. I was so depressed. I am not sure if that is classed as a nervous breakdown or not.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A nervous breakdown is where someone suffers from a mental illness brought about by intense pressures and mental exhaustion if you like. I don't think it can be defined as such, its different for each person, but basically a person undergoes a 'manic' depression, if thats the right word.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Manic depression or "bi-polar disorder" is quite different to just "depression". Although you can have a nervous breakdown through manic depression. Manic depression can be characterised by periods of intense highs/lows whereas depression is mainly the lows. Other symptoms of both include lethargy, lack of concentration, problems sleeping etc...
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i had a nervous breakdown... i knew it'd happened when i realsied i was in a mental hospital with people watching me pee/ take a shower and i was so medicated i kept falling over. up until then i'd be getting steadily depressed and more and more dangerously so. fun all round - trust me, if it happens... you know it has happened. 6 months of testing, watching, observing, running away and being dragged back by big scary nurses and "therapy" and they send you back into the big wide world, pumped full of antipsychotics and lithium, ready to fall into the deepest depression of your life.
warning signs youre losing it:
everythign seems the wrong colour
nothing seems real, particularly you
other people claim they cant see things you can
everything smells wierd
you suddenly get thick @ school, no matter how clever you were
you are embarrasing your friends all the time by shouting and being disruptive in public places
oh yeah, and searching for hairs on the palms of your hands...
(and you dont have to be bipolar to have a breakdown - i am unipolar, ie, "just" depressive... it depends whether you suffer psychosis i think... most depressives dont)
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what a conversation-stopper i am...
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think people use the term much too loosely.
If you're feeling really down, demotivated, unenthusiastic, sad and weepy and that continues for a time, it's a really down patch, not a nervous breakdown.
If you're very panicky, short of breath, shaky, hyperventilating and have disordered thinking, and it goes in about 10-30 minutes, then it's a panic attack.
What fifi53 describes is a real breakdown.
LS.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fifi53)
what a conversation-stopper i am...
People never know how to respond to some things; which usually includes physical/mental deviation from the 'norm'

It's good to see you got through it though
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by LS.)
People never know how to respond to some things; which usually includes physical/mental deviation from the 'norm'

It's good to see you got through it though
Hear hear.
This stuff can be damned scary.
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
surviving is one thing, but you dont get totally better from that kind of thing.
being fed soup through your nose and electrocuted 3 times a week arent things you forget that fast.
"better" is still my favorite phrase... read it as you will... "better" as in totally cured or "better" as in not as mental as before
thanks for your encouragment. x
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fifi53)
surviving is one thing, but you dont get totally better from that kind of thing.
being fed soup through your nose and electrocuted 3 times a week arent things you forget that fast.
"better" is still my favorite phrase... read it as you will... "better" as in totally cured or "better" as in not as mental as before
thanks for your encouragment. x
I've never been through it that severely, but I've had my share of mental health problems so I totally understand how you're using the word "better".
PM me if you ever want to talk about anything, by the way.
alio
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i thought it was like a massive panic attack or heart attack :confused:
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alio)
i thought it was like a massive panic attack or heart attack :confused:
Nothing to do with heart attacks, it's a mental thing.
alio
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
im worried lol ive had a few panic attacks and think im depressed cud this lead to it.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
never known anyone who had a nervous breakdown - i think one just has to be strong and now and again take a break from life to sort out any problems
suspicious_fish
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alio)
im worried lol ive had a few panic attacks and think im depressed cud this lead to it.
Are you depressed as in actually depressed, or depressed as in feeling low and sad?
There's a massive difference.
alio
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are you depressed as in actually depressed, or depressed as in feeling low and sad?
There's a massive difference.
to be honest i dont know as i cant compare coz i dont know wot other ppl feel like. its just feeling low and sad evry night i cant explain the feeling its a mixture of anxiety and feeling low. again i cant compare so its hard to tell
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alio)
to be honest i dont know as i cant compare coz i dont know wot other ppl feel like. its just feeling low and sad evry night i cant explain the feeling its a mixture of anxiety and feeling low. again i cant compare so its hard to tell
weight of the world on your shoulders? You have to take a step back and realise whatever is going on in your life right now is only a very small part of your life as a whole - you are young and have a lot to look forward to
alio
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
weight of the world on your shoulders? You have to take a step back and realise whatever is going on in your life right now is only a very small part of your life as a whole - you are young and have a lot to look forward to
thanx for that lol. its just that i keep thinking about being old and that time fly's by. its confusin i know :confused:
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by alio)
thanx for that lol. its just that i keep thinking about being old and that time fly's by. its confusin i know :confused:
how old are you now? I am 19 and sometimes feel old coming on here lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (409)
43.7%
No (97)
10.36%
I'm not old enough (430)
45.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed