lollytish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I am kind of curious about applying to Harvard university from the UK as an undergraduate. I've looked at the financial aid and ironically it would actually be cheaper for me to study over there than in the UK so the cost isn't an issue. I was just wondering how their degree works, how you pick classes etc and what sort of grades and extracurricular you need to have a chance of getting a place. Currently I'm studying Law, Economics, Politics, History and Critical thinking at AS and am expected to achieve A* at A-level. I achieved 8A*s and 4As at GCSE and for extracurricular go horse-riding weekly, am in the debate club, participated in a law mooting comp and am on the business academy where I will get an internship come summer. Would this be enough to be considered? I understand they'd also look at SAT tests and an essay?
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't take it too seriously. Harvard needs perfect grades and ideally for you to be non-white, non-oriental. Places for foreigners are even more limited.
futureengineer15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
American universities are very different from British ones, and the acceptance rates are heartbreakingly low (6.3% and plummeting every year makes Oxbridge look VERY attainable), BUT if you don't mind the $75 application fees (and the fees for SATs, etc.) you have as much a chance as any other high-achieving student so there's no harm in trying! However, you should be aware that it often feels as if they just pull names out of a hat, and it's even worse for internationals. You also need to make sure you have all the entry requirements, as the American system stresses being more "well-rounded". I don't know their expectations for internationals, but Americans are expected to have four years each of math, science, English, and foreign language, which is not easily reconcilable with the A level system. Have you seen the Harvard Club of UK's website with advice?

You really do need phenomenal grades and extracurriculars, and high scores on the SATs (the SAT and at least 2 subject tests in your area of interest) are crucial. There are also several essays they require, all of which are very different from a UCAS personal statement. One is the generic Common App essay, which you really have several choices of topics for and would send to most American schools (not all schools use the Common App); in addition, most schools, including Harvard, have a writing supplement of short answers. I believe in their case it's a chance to elaborate on extracurriculars, an extra essay on a topic of your choice, and what you plan to do with your education as an international. You also need to secure two recommendations from teachers, but recommendations for American universities serve slightly different purposes to those for UCAS, so I would look into that and inform your teachers accordingly.

An American university education, especially from LACs (liberal arts colleges) like Harvard and the rest of the Ivies, is much less focused and specific than in Britain. Remember, we don't specialize for A-levels but are expected to take a broad range of courses (one of each of the core math, science, English, history/social studies) each year. This explanation is for American schools in general. You normally don't pick a major to focus on until at least the end of your second year. You'll be assigned an advisor who will make sure you take all the necessary graduation requirements, but the number of required classes is pretty low to allow you lots of freedom to explore other intellectual avenues. In fact, some schools require you to take classes outside your focus, and minors or double majoring is very common. Your major is your main concentration, minors require fewer courses to complete, but both achieve recognition and are granted by the college. Most of the time, you'll pre-register for classes using an online catalog before he semester begins; at Harvard, the first week of the semester is spent "shopping" for classes, sitting in on lectures to determine which you want to take that semester.

I know this is a lot of information and you don't have the context for most of what I said, so please let me know what clarifications/further questions you'd like me to address. It's confusing to apply across educational systems, and I know how helpful talking to someone who grew up in the other system can be (I'm an American applying to the UK).

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (14)
14.14%
I need help researching courses (8)
8.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.06%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
40.4%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
25.25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.02%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads