QUANTAM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The philosophy of Albert Schweitzer, influenced by Indian religions.

James Brabazon described it as-

"Reverence for Life says that the only thing we are really sure of is that we live and want to go on living. This is something that we share with everything else that lives, from elephants to blades of grass—and, of course, every human being. So we are brothers and sisters to all living things, and owe to all of them the same care and respect, that we wish for ourselves."

A universal ethical theory, that strives to value and have "reverence" for all living things...

Can a theory as such be realistically be part of one's ethical approach in modern day society? What do you think? Is it asking too much? Should we have a reverence towards all​ living things?
skunkboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How do we have reverence toward all living things?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mankytoes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sentience seems a much better decider to me. A blade of grass can't feel, can't think, it doesn't care if it's trampled or eaten or left to grow. So why should we care, unless it benefits us, or something sentient?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
17.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.42%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.51%

Watched Threads