The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dannybro1
Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies.. they are much appreciated and all your views have been taken into consideration and certainly interesting.. here's a little information on myself as I can see how the original post was a bit short and offers more questions than answers.

I studied at the University of Central Lancashire (Preston) which is ranked 92nd in the UK (63rd in 2013) (I know not the best, I chose this because it was relatively local and wanted to live at home during my studies instead of live out elsewhere further afield). Basically upon leaving school I was really unsure what I wanted to do as a potential career therefore subject choices were just based on what I liked to do and enjoyed personally rather than what would benefit myself in the future academically. In addition to the lack of information and advice provided to guide prospective students to choose their education options wisely from the teachers at my old school, I left and decided to study Physical education at college and Information technology, I received a B in both and then went on to study sport and exercise physiology at university. I can honestly say I did not put 100% effort into my studies during university, I mainly attribute this to me still being unsure where I ultimately wanted to head with my career and not knowing the detrimental effect receiving a 2:2 would have compared to a 2:1 for my future. I'm certain if i could retake my degree I could certainly get a 2:1 and it is a massive regret of mine that i did not do myself justice.

Anyway thats gone now and im trying to look to the future and make the best of what I have and what I can make of myself. I changed jobs recently from working as a sales assistant in M&S to a healthcare assistant at a hospital to gain the relevant care experience to aid my application. Really stuck as to what I should do next... either a MSc or if there was a way of doing extra modules to boost my current degree to a 2:1 through the open university or some other avenue... im not sure. Basically my heart is set on medicine and medicine only no matter how long it takes me! :flip::flip:

Anyway , all opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for the contribution so far.

Dannybro

You are extremely limited seeing as you have a 2:2 degree. Your two most practical options for GEM are Notts & SGUL, so moving is imperative.

Experience wise you should be fine, however you are going to work very hard to achieve a good score on the GAMSAT. I sat it last year and managed to bag an interview with both Notts and SGUL, there are still many more hoops to jump.

Set your target to GAMSAT, if you need any advice let me know.

Also as a med applicant you have to be more self-reliant. Research, research, research!
A lot of your questions are easily answered with a Google search.
Reply 41
I hate to say it but a 2.2 from UCLAN in Sport sciences is just not going to cut it in medicine, its academically quite rigorous, if you had got a 2.1 with the effort you put in at UCLAN, you might stand a chance. However in this case I think you might have to reassess your ambitions a little.

Have you considered a physicians assistant course?

Its a lot of the same work as a junior doctor, though obviously financially it might not be quite as rewarding.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hermes1
I hate to say it but a 2.2 from UCLAN in Sport sciences is just not going to cut it in medicine, its academically quite rigorous, if you had got a 2.1 with the effort you put in at UCLAN, you might stand a change. However in this case I think you might have to reassess your ambitions a little.

Have you considered a physicians assistant course?

Its a lot of the same work as a junior doctor, though obviously financially it might not be quite as rewarding.

Ignore this "advice", it's crap.
Reply 43
Original post by Democracy
Ignore this "advice", it's crap.

Feel free to elaborate..

I just think a poor degree with a low grade isn't quite enough to be able to deal with the stress of studying medicine in 4 years. I started medical school and then dropped out because I couldn't quite keep up, currently im at a top university now studying biochemistry and at the 2.1/2.2 border.

Dont get me wrong im not a particularly good student, but I just think you need to have achieved at a high level of study before embarking on a course like medicine. Otherwise you may find yourself falling behind and wasting time and money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hermes1
Feel free to elaborate..

I just think a poor degree

Why is it a poor degree? Why does the fact that he went to UCLAN make a difference?

with a low grade isn't quite enough to be able to deal with the stress of studying medicine in 4 years.

Clearly all of the doctors who've qualified with 2:2s in their first degrees would beg to differ.
Reply 45
I know of Arts graduates with 2:2s who have got on to study graduate medicine. Not having done brilliantly at one thing doesn't mean you won't be great at something else, and I'm sure the universities know what they're doing when they admit these people.
Original post by Dannybro1
Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies.. they are much appreciated and all your views have been taken into consideration and certainly interesting.. here's a little information on myself as I can see how the original post was a bit short and offers more questions than answers.

I studied at the University of Central Lancashire (Preston) which is ranked 92nd in the UK (63rd in 2013) (I know not the best, I chose this because it was relatively local and wanted to live at home during my studies instead of live out elsewhere further afield). Basically upon leaving school I was really unsure what I wanted to do as a potential career therefore subject choices were just based on what I liked to do and enjoyed personally rather than what would benefit myself in the future academically. In addition to the lack of information and advice provided to guide prospective students to choose their education options wisely from the teachers at my old school, I left and decided to study Physical education at college and Information technology, I received a B in both and then went on to study sport and exercise physiology at university. I can honestly say I did not put 100% effort into my studies during university, I mainly attribute this to me still being unsure where I ultimately wanted to head with my career and not knowing the detrimental effect receiving a 2:2 would have compared to a 2:1 for my future. I'm certain if i could retake my degree I could certainly get a 2:1 and it is a massive regret of mine that i did not do myself justice.

Anyway thats gone now and im trying to look to the future and make the best of what I have and what I can make of myself. I changed jobs recently from working as a sales assistant in M&S to a healthcare assistant at a hospital to gain the relevant care experience to aid my application. Really stuck as to what I should do next... either a MSc or if there was a way of doing extra modules to boost my current degree to a 2:1 through the open university or some other avenue... im not sure. Basically my heart is set on medicine and medicine only no matter how long it takes me!

Anyway , all opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for the contribution so far.

Dannybro

Well then, here's what you need to do:

1. Get a UCAS application ready in time for October, write an excellent personal statement and continue your work experience. If you can find the time branch out to do a bit of doctor shadowing as well.

2. Sit the GAMSAT and absolutely NAIL it, this means you're going to have to do a lot of revision, because there's a fairly high level of science knowledge required for someone that hasn't really studied it.

3. Apply to Notts and SGUL and keep your fingers crossed.

You can do 1 and 3 no problem, personal statements are easy enough to get right, and there's plenty of help out there, a lot of it on TSR. Sorting out 2 is going to be your big challenge, because you're going to have to work really hard to get a good GAMSAT score, and without a great score you aren't going to get an interview.

Good luck.
Reply 47
Original post by James222
Even with a 2:2 you will be going up against people who have 2:1s even 1sts in medicinal chemistry etc.

Unless there was a specific reason you got a 2:2, ie was lazy or revised wrong stuff then I suggest you dont do medicine.

Just going to point out that this is very misleading. The classification is a tick box. If he (for example) gets a high enough GAMSAT score to qualify for interview at Notts and/or SGUL (a score which is higher than that those with a 2:1/First need to get) then he will not in any way be disadvantaged when competing with those people with 2:1s and Firsts.
Reply 48
Original post by Ronove
Just going to point out that this is very misleading. The classification is a tick box. If he (for example) gets a high enough GAMSAT score to qualify for interview at Notts and/or SGUL (a score which is higher than that those with a 2:1/First need to get) then he will not in any way be disadvantaged when competing with those people with 2:1s and Firsts.

The classification is a strong indicator of ability for admission tutors.
I got a 2.2 from UCLAN a few years ago, I am in my first year in medicine now. It is possible, anything is possible but it was hard work. If you are willing to put it in and get great work experience you have a shot at it.
Reply 50
The classification is a strong indicator of ability for admission tutors.

Again, you think your own conjecture has some kind of impact on how admissions tutors decide who to admit to GEM. Go research how they do it and then come back.
Reply 51
Original post by Ronove
Again, you think your own conjecture has some kind of impact on how admissions tutors decide who to admit to GEM. Go research how they do it and then come back.

Im sorry but my views are based on the universally accepted principle of exam results
Im sorry but my views are based on the universally accepted principle of exam results

Your view is irrelevant.

Nottingham and St George's use GAMSAT results as an indicator of academic ability.

Sorry.
Reply 53
Original post by Biochemical Wizard
Your view is irrelevant.

Nottingham and St George's use GAMSAT results as an indicator of academic ability.

Sorry.

Your view on my view is irrelevant. I stand by my view.

Someone who doesnt get a 2:1 will probably get average marks gamsat
Reply 54

Even if that were true it wouldn't support your claim...

Sorry no evidence of that. No correlation between degree classification and type and GAMSAT results has ever been presented.

I lived with a paramedic who did not have a degree and he outscored graduated considerable on the GAMSAT.
Reply 56
Original post by doctorteeth
Sorry no evidence of that. No correlation between degree classification and type and GAMSAT results has ever been presented.

I lived with a paramedic who did not have a degree and he outscored graduated considerable on the GAMSAT.

If he didn't have a classification in the first place that's hardly proof of anything, though, is it? Maybe he'd have got a First if he'd done a degree...
Sorry the statement still stands, no correlations between classification and GAMSAT. The example give shows that without a science background you can still do well in the GAMSAT. It is circumstantial evidence to say the least. "Maybe he would have got a first?" That is pure speculation in the first place also.
I've so enjoyed reading this thread :biggrin:. I agree with some people, although judgemental, a 2:2 in sport won't stand out academically in a med application HOWEVER it's a healthcare career and working in healthcare requires SO much more than just academic brains. Working as an HCA is a huge huge plus and will help you significantly (I don't do medicine but I've just got into physiotherapy this year after 5 rejections last year, and its because of my work experience including being an HCA). If your degree is accepted as a relevant degree for medicine then work really hard on getting loads of experience and write your personal statement really well, work your ass off for the gamsat and apply. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will be a much better doctor than all the people on here slating you for not being academically amazing...

Latest

Trending

Trending