username1341738
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've sat in my lessons and listened, done all the homework, but I'm really struggling. I'm most likely dropping history, but I'd still like to come out with a good grade. On top of the sheer volume of information I need to know (my mind is like a sieve), I'm a slow writer which doesn't help my essay-writing. I can write a B/C-grade for homework (No timed conditions and the assistance of my textbooks ), but struggle to get a D in lesson. Has anyone got any ways that I can improve my essay writing and methods to help remember the content? Thank you in advance to those that reply!
Doing Tsarist Russia and Life in Nazi Germany btw...
FollowBaby
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh god I'm doing tsarist russia as well & am really struggling to remember everything, I've found that watching documentaries is surprisingly helpful; also try looking at exam mark schemes to find out exactly what the examiner wants, for example it is important to AVOID storytelling & you should look at lots of factors, hope this helps!
username1341738
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So much content! It's funny that you should mention documentaries. I watched some Nazi Germany one last night and kinda fell asleep . I'll try it when I'm more alert haha! I've made a few mind maps on questions using the mark schemes, which is kinda useful too. Yeah, thanks!
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThirdEyeChimp)
I've sat in my lessons and listened, done all the homework, but I'm really struggling. I'm most likely dropping history, but I'd still like to come out with a good grade. On top of the sheer volume of information I need to know (my mind is like a sieve), I'm a slow writer which doesn't help my essay-writing. I can write a B/C-grade for homework (No timed conditions and the assistance of my textbooks ), but struggle to get a D in lesson. Has anyone got any ways that I can improve my essay writing and methods to help remember the content? Thank you in advance to those that reply!
Doing Tsarist Russia and Life in Nazi Germany btw...
Hi, I am doing AQA, I got an A in my history mock by just reading over my notes before the exam and I have the memory of a fish, but I just know how to structure my essay properly! I'm guessing OCR structure is probably quite similar to AQA.

This is briefly what I do in each essay:

Introduction- Outline Aims/ Define any key terms in the question, also summarise main points/ arguments

Main body- Outline argument, link back to the question at the end of each paragraph

Include a 'However' paragraph- Include any limitations eg- limitations to creating a 'volksgemeinshaft' (People's community)

Conclusion- Summarise points made+ answer the question!

I hope this is useful in any kind of way...
sherbetlily
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For any history exam try to revise by 'themes'. Use the mark schemes and Past questions to help build mind maps and try to think of possible questions! I find it better and easier to revise with a friend so find someone from your class I'm studying A2 modern British history and there's 60 years of stuff to remember ;( good luck guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads