Is anyone here serious about Investing?

Watch
Joyful_soul
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Do young people actually think about investing?

• What instruments do you invest in (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, indices etc.)?How do you educate yourself on investing?
  • Where do you get your investment info, in general?
  • How did you first discover about investing?
  • What portion of your money do you actively invest?
username418231
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I have thought a little bit about it but I'd like to know more to be honest.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
  • What instruments do you invest in (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, indices etc.)?How do you educate yourself on investing?
- Index fund trackers

- Internetz

- From reading personal finance blogs

- Only 10% of net income atm. Plan to increase that.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think our first priority is to get a job.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Equity/Forex markets for the time being

Trade with MarketWatch (beit virtual on real markets, because I'm broke) 30% return (on capital) in 4 months (all long-term positions)

I use news/blogs/economy tracker

First found out about economics / financial markets whilst playing runescape at the age of 11 (hooked ever since)

Cap 25% of capital in any 1 trade position and hedge (mitigate risk) with 5-15%

Will be studying 'BSc Investment & Financial Risk Management' with Cass Business School, starting Sept 2014

Fun, fun, fun
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
Do young people actually think about investing?

I started investing at 19. Primarily learnt how to do it from the parents of a friend I went to school with, they were seasoned investors. Primarily bought IPOs then.

These days I do various types of investments, I do buy stocks of well known companies that I see has good innovations and very good growth potential as well as a healthy cash-flow. Generally choose companies that are in an industry that I'm familiar with.

Also tend to invest in real estate, primarily into agriculture and commercial land with some residential as well.

These days also into buying up or investing directly into smaller companies that I can gain management control especially if it owns some good assets.

=====

Info? I generally stick to the company's annual and sustainability reports as well as some market analysis.

===

My parents and grandparents were big into investing their money, they primarily did IPOs, stocks and real estate. I knew a fair bit about it and later learned up more on buying stocks from a stockbroker parent of a school friend of mine. I started doing real estate as was mixing with a certain crowd of people who were doing that and tried my hand at it.

========

Percentage of income?

Income from my primary jobs = 25% (Stocks, Timed deposits and ISAs)

Inheritance income = 75% (Timed deposits and till it is enough to put 30% towards a new piece of real estate)

Interest/dividend income = 50% (Timed deposits mostly which later goes towards some new income generating asset)

Capital Gains = I generally don't sell but if I do sell then I will reinvest 70-80% of it
pane123
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I make a living betting on sporting outcomes, mainly football.

While many will be quick to dismiss this as luck, it is very similar to investing in stocks. There are a few betting syndicates out there that will give the average person a much better return than investing in stocks would.

If anyone is interested you should Google something like "portfolio betting" to get an idea of what I mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads