Kemics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could clarify for me the colour of Chromium chemistry (specifically with regards to AQA A-level spec answers!)

What colour is chromium 3+ as an aqua ion i.e [Cr(H2O)6]3+ ?

and what colour will the precipitate be after it's reacted with NH3, OH- or [CO3]2- (should be the same for all 3 i think?) should end up as [Cr(H20)3(OH)3](S)

Many Thanks!
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's usually violet in the aqua complex
RoseBrilliante
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kemics)
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could clarify for me the colour of Chromium chemistry (specifically with regards to AQA A-level spec answers!)

What colour is chromium 3+ as an aqua ion i.e [Cr(H2O)6]3+ ?

and what colour will the precipitate be after it's reacted with NH3, OH- or [CO3]2- (should be the same for all 3 i think?) should end up as [Cr(H20)3(OH)3](S)

Many Thanks!
(Original post by LadyEcliptic)
It's usually violet in the aqua complex
Hmm I've got [Cr(H20)6]3+ as a green ppt. and with the addition of OH- it first becomes a grey-green ppt. of [Cr(OH)3(H20)3] and then with excess OH- it becomes a green solution of [Cr(OH)6]3-
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Color of the precipitate often depends on the anion involved, so there is no easy answer. Adding carbonate will precipitate carbonate, adding OH- or ammonia will initially precipitate hydroxide - but excess hydroxide (and excess ammonia) can dissolve the precipitate.

Compare http://www.docbrown.info/page07/transition04Cr.htm
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RoseBrilliante)
Hmm I've got [Cr(H20)6]3+ as a green ppt. and with the addition of OH- it first becomes a grey-green ppt. of [Cr(OH)3(H20)3] and then with excess OH- it becomes a green solution of [Cr(OH)6]3-
Sorry - I do CCEA. We've learned it as a violet crystal for the aqua complex and green for any others, and on addition of NaOH/nh3 it's a green blue ppt.
joeyjoeymc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've got it down as ruby for [Cr(H2O)6]^3+ on AQA. But I believe the mark scheme accept a mixture of other colours too, including violet. With a base it will form a grey-green precipitate of [Cr(H2O)3(OH)3]. Excess hydroxide produces a dark green solution of [Cr(OH)6]^3- and excess ammonia produces a purple solution of [Cr(NH3)6]^3+.
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The colour of metal ligand complexes depends upon the metal AND the ligand. Consider the metal to have a range of colours available... which point within that scale is determined by which ligands are coordinated.
The colour of a complex is determined by the energy gaps between the energy levels. These are dictated by the electronic properties of both the metal AND the ligands hence the colour also depends upon the ligand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.35%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.55%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads