ATCL Programming Watch

Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Alright so I'm preparing to take my ATCL on the flute and recorder in the next year or so. I don't really have a teacher to ask the questions I have so I was wondering if I could ask anyone on here who has taken an ABRSM or TCL diploma?

So on the flute I'll definitely be playing part of Mozart's Concerto in G which will be around 18 minutes, then I'll have to play for 14-20 more minutes. Would it be better to balance this with three shorter pieces or two? I was hoping to play the Chaminade Concertino (8 minutes) leaving me with 6-12 minutes which I could at a stretch fit in the Handel Sonata if I leave out the repeats as the syllabus suggests, however the piece is fiendishly difficult and I feel like all the musicality is lost if I leave out the repeats. So I could instead replace the Handel with a piece by Burton, however it's quite similar in style to the Chaminade and I feel like my programme should have some baroque in it because it's such an important part of the flute repertoire. Also this programme wouldn't have any unaccompanied pieces and I don't know if this is a bad thing? The only unaccompanied pieces to my knowledge are another classical one and a 20th century one which would clash awfully with the other pieces I was planning on doing.

Is it worth sacrificing a better balance of styles and moods for more technical security and musicality? I hate having to choose a programme, I'd be 100% comfortable with any of the pieces I play except for the Handel which will take an awful lot of work to get up to standard needed.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know the answer to your question but if you're entering yourself for the exam it is well worth phoning the exam board to get clarification on what they're looking for. The worst they'll say is that they can't tell you because you are to be marked on your own decision making with the programme.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm not a flautist or recorder player, but I did and successfully passed the ATCL Performance (Piano) recital option.

I think it's important to have at least one substantial work. It seems like you're trying to fit in two, by playing the Chaminade. Whilst I understand you like the piece, I do think you should consider dropping it, if the Handel is hard and doesn't make sense to you without the repeats. A broad programme spanning all the different musical eras is important I think, to show versatility.

That said, ultimately you mustn't compromise the standard of the recital.

Just some thoughts there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (362)
66.91%
No (179)
33.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed