Selfies Watch

LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why has it slowly become acceptable for people to post endless pictures of their face online? Some people's facebook and Instagram profiles are literally a massive collection of face shots - with different angles and filters. It's not just girls, it's guys too! How did this level of vanity become normal? Do these people not have friends to take photos of them, or any else interesting in their lives besides their face... Sometimes they have captions like 'night out with the girls' or 'bbq' but it's never relevant to the fact it's literally a picture of their face.

And don't get me started on that awful duck pout.
DouglasAdams
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Why has it slowly become acceptable for people to post endless pictures of their face online? Some people's facebook and Instagram profiles are literally a massive collection of face shots - with different angles and filters. It's not just girls, it's guys too! How did this level of vanity become normal? Do these people not have friends to take photos of them, or any else interesting in their lives besides their face... Sometimes they have captions like 'night out with the girls' or 'bbq' but it's never relevant to the fact it's literally a picture of their face.

I'm rather against taking selfies but have found that when I'm with friends whom I don't see very often (if they live in another city or country for example) I find myself going with the trend and taking a few selfies to remember both the moments and people by.
I agree with you about the vanity of people taking regularly with anyone they see, but I think occasionally a selfie can be a nice thing to have
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by DouglasAdams)
I'm rather against taking selfies but have found that when I'm with friends whom I don't see very often (if they live in another city or country for example) I find myself going with the trend and taking a few selfies to remember both the moments and people by.
I agree with you about the vanity of people taking regularly with anyone they see, but I think occasionally a selfie can be a nice thing to have
I see nothing wrong with selfies with friends, it's just the hundreds of photos which are literally someone's face that I find odd.
DouglasAdams
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see nothing wrong with selfies with friends, it's just the hundreds of photos which are literally someone's face that I find odd.
Aha, agreed with you there then.
VladThe1mpaler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Society has come to accept self obsession and arrogance, so more and more people are embracing it which is why selfies are the new "trend". It's quite sad really.
Holby_fanatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hardly ever post selfies online. I do take more than some because I'm bored/to send to my boyfriend (LDR) but apart from that, no one sees them. Except if I find them fecking hilarious. I might show a couple of people then.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I remember meeting a girl that looked nothing like she did online, to the point where I didn't even recognise her lol.

Don't really get all these side-angle / tilt faces / half face in shot too,I can't identify you..
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When did it become acceptable for people to haughtily criticize others for uploading pictures of themselves to the internet?
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because I'm bored and I don't care what people who share your opinion think mainly

Posted from TSR Mobile
itssimplyme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's because cameras are so easily available now, they're pretty much on most phones so anyone can become an amateur photographer really. If you mix that with narcissism you get selfies

But before all the front facing camera stuff, people just took mirror shots for bebo and myspace anyway :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why does it bother you? Just don't look at them/delete them from Facebook or whatever. I hardly see the need to complain about it.
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why should it be unacceptable?
effofex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I'm planning on taking topless selfies of myself under a waterfall when I go to Thailand later this year!!!

And then I'm going to get someone to take a short video of me twerking.
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
It's just narcissism culture, I guess :dontknow:
It doesn't really bother me, I don't have to look if I don't want to :lol:
PricklyPorcupine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Meh boredom and a tad of vanity? Either way I just skip past them whenever I am on facebook
Xscape
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marinaim)
Because I'm bored and I don't care what people who share your opinion think mainly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well thats a lie I see to recall your "am i ugly" thread #lolbeans
elpistolero7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Boredom, incessant need for approval, wanting attention etc.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll reply in a second...but first let me take another selfie. #selfie
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by effofex)
I'm planning on taking topless selfies of myself under a waterfall when I go to Thailand later this year!!!

And then I'm going to get someone to take a short video of me twerking.
You go boy. #twerkteam
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Xscape)
Well thats a lie I see to recall your "am i ugly" thread #lolbeans
lol I've never had a thread like that. If you mean the one where I attempted to ask for opinions on how I looked that day, that's a different thing. caring =/= wanting opinions. As I realised, not gonna wear that dress again from it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads