reading list for law llb or the best textbooks for compulsory modules

Watch
law2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Im starting law in Northampton this september and want to buy some books to start learning beforehand but dont want to buy ones that wont be useful with the actual course
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by law2014)
Im starting law in Northampton this september and want to buy some books to start learning beforehand but dont want to buy ones that wont be useful with the actual course
Your best bet is probably to look at the modules you will be taking in your first year - should be on the website - and get the set textbooks for these modules.
As the English Legal System (or equivalent) is usually a first-year module, this is the main one to focus on as it provides the basic understanding of the legal system - criminal and civil process, judicial interpretation etc. The set text for this module is probably going to be the easiest to read and most helpful to look at before the course actually starts.

Your other set texts will NOT be the sort of thing for bedtime reading, and if you try too hard to read them in advance of starting the course, you may well put yourself off the course entirely! Textbooks are great for providing deeper insight into a topic after its introduction in a lecture, or directing your research for an essay, but however well-written they are, they just aren't suitable for "introductory" reading by a beginner.
If you can find the set textbooks for your first-year modules, read the introduction chapters (if there are any) but leave it at that unless you are actually enjoying your reading and getting somewhere with it.

Otherwise there are introduction to legal studies style books available from Amazon. I have a very basic one about structuring and researching a law essay, which I wish I'd had when I wrote my first assignment! I would personally recommend a short guide to essay-writing, and an introduction to law written specifically for people starting out studying the subject - not books aimed at the generally interested layman.

Your department may even be able to provide you with a reading list if you ask them - but this is likely to be filled with books that, whilst interesting, aren't actually that relevant to your studies.
jazibhussain
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by law2014)
I'm starting Law at Northampton this September, too! They haven't updated their reading list yet!
WVL
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Katie_P, would you mind sharing the title/author of the book about structuring and researching Law essays please?

Thank you! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.05%
I'm not sure (27)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.4%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.15%
I'm not a current university student (290)
47.93%

Watched Threads